spiro plus lasix, not in place of lasix

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 9:51 AM
      >I have had several people
      >from the support groups
      >on here suggest using
      >spironolactone instead of
      >Lasix but the cardiologist
      >and my vet (who will only
      >do what cardiologist says)
      >will not prescribe it.

      Just wanted to point out that generally speaking,
      lasix is used until it cannot keep up with fluid
      build-up. At this point additional drugs
      might be added, for example spironolactone.

      My cat's cardiologist preferred HCTZ as a
      secondary diuretic for my cat's particular case,
      but eventually after much insisting on my
      part, finally called in a script for spiro.

      Spironolactone is only a weak diuretic and its
      primary help in heart disease may be through
      effects other than the diuretic effect most
      likely through inhibiting the Renin-Angiotensin-
      adosterone pathway that the ACE-inhibitor also
      acts on.
      (See the Human RALES study for more info).
      The reference to the primary research
      article and a summary are included
      here:
      SUMMARY
      http://www.journalclub.org/vol2/a72.html
      ARTICLE
      http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/341/10/709

      Although the RALES study noted that
      hyperkalemia was not an issue, a follow
      up study indicated that when potassium
      levels were not monitored, there was an
      increase in hyperkalemia associated
      illness and death. It is important to keep track of
      serum potassium levels when taking both drugs.
      (See follow up to Human RALES study)
      http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/351/6/543

      Best,

      Nala