Keeping cats happy

  • mediapink
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      I have 2 cats one of them is almost recovered from being near death. So
      I have decided to turn them into indoor cats so they can be safe and
      healthy, they seem so board and unhappy. I tried palying with them but
      they and I get board with the usual toys and string chasing. Any ideas
      to keep them busy and happy.
    • amanda
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
        Hi, I did the same to my cats, I had lost two cats outside and decided to keep my remaining two cats inside, at first they cried and were bored, but after a few weeks they get used to it, I do let them outside in thier small kitty enclosure , but only while I am home, if I go out of the house, I lock them inside the house. I must say that their kitty enclosure certainly helps and it`s only tiny! I also take them for walks on the leash but only arround our garden. Other wise while they are indoors they like to sit by the window and look outside, and sometims I play with them. Have you tried a kitty video for them? I have never tried it, but have heard it`s quite good! good luck and hang in there!1 the first weeks are always difficult! hugs Amanda and Silver chan.

      • goldbe50
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
          I've done this and your cats will get used to being inside, eventually
          and will discover some interesting things to keep them busy. Suggest
          you hide what you want to keep for yourself.

          There are lots of silly toys for cats like the cat dancer that should
          keep them occupied for at least 2 minutes. I've never invested in
          anything like that. My furgirls are passionate about cotton swabs,
          plastic bottled water caps, little sponge rubber balls, and little
          furry mice. I keep toys inside the cat tree and they go in and get what
          they want. I'm always buying little toys for them but they always go
          back to their first loves.

          As for TV, since I got an LCD, two of my cats are just mesmerized by
          it. They seem to prefer Animal Planet (joking) but as soon as the set
          goes on, they are glued to it which is better than sitting on top with
          a tail hanging in the middle of the screen. Of course one of them likes
          a closer view. Good thing she's small. That's it, get an LCD set for
          your cats!

          Catnip. That should keep them busy for a while.

          And then there's the one who likes the computer ...

          You and your cats will adapt.

          Judith
        • Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            A friend of mine worked during her vacation time to get money to buy an
            invisible fence for her cats...she's had it for a year now and everyone is
            delighted with it...she says that she really enjoys being able to garden
            outside with kitties in tow..and I said but what about your lost vacation
            time and she says it's a small price to pay to have kitties ourdoors with
            her and to always know exactly where they are and to be able to retrieve
            them and bring them in when she's ready to go in..

            :-)

            _____