Constipation?

  • cashmangreg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2007
      Our cat LB was recently diagnosed with CRF and hypertropic
      cardiomyopathy. He is currently on Lasix, 12.5 mg per day. His diet
      consists of dry Purina One (he refuses to eat the k/d and any kind of
      canned food). I realize it's not the best thing for his kidneys but
      we're just thankful that he's eating again.

      In the last couple days, we've noticed that he's not defacating at
      all. He doesn't seem dehydrated because his gums are moist and his
      skin is elastic.

      Does anyone have any experience with this? Or have any suggestions on
      how to treat it?
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
        Hello,

        How was LB diagnosed with HCM? Is he only taking lasix for it? Did the vet not give a heart med too? If not, you may want to consider getting a second opinion. The usually method of treatment includes a heart med like an ACE Inhibitor or a beta blocker and lasix (for congestive heart failure, CHF).

        As far as the constipation, it is a common problem for kitties taking lasix. The lasix can dehydrate enough to cause this problem. There are several ways to help with constipation such as giving slippery elm bark powder, pureed pumpkin and other fiber substitutes. I personally suggest the slippery elm powder. I used it with my Angel Alec who battled constipation regularly because of the lasix. Also make sure that LB has all the water that he can drink. Put water bowls all over the house if you need to or mix water into LB's wet food to make sure he is getting as much water as he needs or wants. Do not restrict his water in any way, in case the vet didn't tell you that.

        Also, the amount of lasix that LB is getting may be too much. There is a trial and error period when first going on lasix. Oftentimes, lasix will need increased or decreased throughout the disease progression. Usually it is an increase that is needed but when starting on the lasix, a decrease may be necessary. Talk with your vet about this if you are not sure. I would first look into if a decrease in lasix is necessary and then on to fiber additions for the constipations. Ask if you have more questions on this subject.

        Be sure to ask us any questions that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is. We are glad you found us.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
          Hi Leah,

          Can you tell me where you buy Slippery Elm Bark Powder and how much you
          administer? I use Vetasyl and am wondering about the difference between the two
          if you know.

          Thanks in advance,

          Marisa

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            Marisa,

            You can buy Slippery Elm Bark Powder (SEB) from natural food stores and some other places. I was never able to find it locally so I bought it online. It was pretty inexpensive and I used the NOW brand. Just do a google search for it and you will get lots of hits. It is different from the Vetasyl in that Vetasyl is a fiber substitute like a Metamucil (from what my research showed). SEB is directly from the bark of the elm tree and it includes fiber and some other minerals and is medicinal in a host of manors. I had found that it worked better for my Angel Alec's constipation. That was just my opinion.

            Below is an excerpt I found online about it.

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

            ---Medicinal Action and Uses---Demulcent, emollient, expectorant, diuretic, nutritive. The bark of this American Elm, though not in this country as in the United States an official drug, is considered one of the most valuable remedies in herbal practice, the abundant mucilage it contains having wonderfully strengthening and healing qualities. It not only has a most soothing and healing action on all the parts it comes in contact with, but in addition possesses as much nutrition as is contained in oatmeal, and when made into gruel forms a wholesome and sustaining food for infants and invalids. It forms the basis of many patent foods. Slippery Elm Food is generally made by mixing a teaspoonful of the powder into a thin and perfectly smooth paste with cold water and then pouring on a pint of boiling water, steadily stirring meanwhile. It can, if desired, be flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg or lemon rind. This makes an excellent drink in cases of irritation of the mucous
            membrane of the stomach and intestines, and taken at night will induce sleep. Another mode of preparation is to beat up an egg with a teaspoonful of the powdered bark, pouring boiling milk over it and sweetening it. Taken unsweetened, three times a day, Elm Food gives excellent results in gastritis, gastric catarrh, mucous colitis and enteritis, being tolerated by the stomach when all other foods fail, and is of great value in bronchitis, bleeding from the lungs and consumption (being most healing to the lungs), soothing a cough and building up and preventing wasting. A Slippery Elm compound excellent for coughs is made as follows: Cut obliquely one or more ounces of bark into pieces about the thickness of a match; add a pinch of Cayenne flavour with a slice of lemon and sweeten, infusing the whole in a pint of boiling water and letting it stand for 25 minutes. Take this frequently in small doses: for a consumptive patient, about a pint a day is recommended. It is
            considered one of the best remedies that can be given as it combines both demulcent and stimulating properties. Being mucilaginous, it rolls up the mucous material so troublesome to the patient and passes it down through the intestines. In typhoid fever, the Slippery Elm drink, prepared as for coughs, is recommended, serving a threefold purpose, to cleanse, heal and strengthen, the patient being allowed to drink as much as desired until thirst has abated, and other remedies can be used. If the patient is not thirsty, a dose of 2 large tablespoonfuls every hour for an adult has been prescribed. The bark is an ingredient in various lung medicines. A valuable remedy for Bronchitis and all diseases of the throat and lungs is compounded as follows: 1 teaspoonful Flax seed, 1 OZ. Slippery Elm bark, 1 OZ. Thoroughwort, 1 stick Liquorice, 1 quart water. Simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Strain and add 1 pint of the best vinegar and 1/2 pint of sugar. When cold, bottle. Dose: 1
            tablespoonful two or three times a day. In Pleurisy, the following is also recommended: Take 2 oz. each of Pleurisy root, Marsh Mallow root, Liquorice root and Slippery Elm bark. Boil in 3 pints of water down to 3 gills. Dose: 1/2 teaspoonful every half-hour, to be taken warm. As a heart remedy, a pint of Slippery Elm drink has been prescribed alternately with Bugleweed compound. Slippery Elm bark possesses also great influence upon diseases of the female organs. It is particularly valuable both medicinally and as an injection in dysentery and other diseases of the bowels, cystitis and irritation of the urinary tract. The injection for inflammation of the bowels is made from an infusion of 1 OZ. of the powder to 1 pint of boiling water, strained and used lukewarm. Other remedies should be given at the same time. An injection for diarrhoea may also be made as follows: 1 drachm powdered Slippery Elm bark, 3 drachms powdered Bayberry, 1 drachm powdered Scullcap.
            Pour on 1/2 pint of boiling water, infuse for half an hour, strain, add a teaspoonful of tincture of myrrh and use lukewarm. As an enema for constipation, 2 drachms of Slippery Elm bark are mixed well with 1 OZ. of sugar, then 1/2 pint of warm milk and water and an ounce of Olive Oil are gently stirred in. Injection for worms (Ascarides): 1/2 drachm Aloes powder, 1 drachm common salt, 1/2 drachm Slippery Elm powder (fine). When well mixed, add 1/2 pint warm water and sweeten with molasses, stirring well. Slippery Elm mucilage is also prescribed to be mixed with Oil of Male Fern (2 oz. of the mucilage to 1 drachm of the oil) as a remedy for the expulsion of tapeworm The Red Indians have long used this viscous inner bark to prepare a healing salve, and in herbal medicine a Slippery Elm bark powder is considered one of the best possible poultices for wounds, boils, ulcers, burns and all inflamed surfaces, soothing, healing and reducing pain and inflammation. It is
            made as follows: Mix the powder with hot water to form the required consistency, spread smoothly upon soft cotton cloth and apply over the parts affected. It is unfailing in cases of suppurations, abscesses, wounds of all kinds, congestion, eruptions, swollen glands, etc. In simple inflammation, it may be applied directly over the part affected; to abscesses and old wounds, it should be placed between cloths. If applied to parts of the body where there is hair, the face of the poultice should be smeared with olive oil before applying. In old gangrenous wounds, an excellent antiseptic poultice is prepared by mixing with warm water or an infusion of Wormwood, equal parts of Slippery Elm powder and very fine charcoal and applying immediately over the part. A very valuable poultice in cases where it is desirable to hasten suppuration or arrest the tendency to gangrene is made by mixing the Slippery Elm powder with brewer's yeast and new milk. Compound Bran poultice is
            made by mixing with hot vinegar equal quantities of wheaten Bran with Slippery Elm powder. This is an excellent poultice for severe rheumatic and gouty affections, particularly of the joints, synovitis etc. Herbal poultices, generally made from the bruised, fresh leaves of special herbs, are frequently mixed with Slippery Elm and boiling water sufficient to give the mass consistency. Marshmallow Ointment, one of the principal ointments used in herbal medicine, has a considerable proportion of Slippery Elm bark in its composition. It is made as follows: 3 oz. Marshmallow leaves, 2 OZ. Slippery Elm bark powder, 3 oz. Beeswax, 16 OZ. Lard. Boil the Marshmallow and Slippery Elm bark in 3 pints of water for 15 minutes. Express, strain and reduce the liquor to half a pint. Melt together the lard and wax by gentle heat, then add the extract while still warm, shake constantly till all are thoroughly incorporated and store in a cool place. The bark of Slippery Elm is stated
            to preserve fatty substances from becoming rancid. It has been asserted that a pinch of the Slippery Elm powder put into a hollow tooth stops the ache and greatly delays decay, if used as soon as there is any sign of decay. Lozenges or troches containing 3 grains of Elm flavoured with methyl salicylate are used as a demulcent. ---Preparations---Mucilage, U.S.P., made by digesting 6 grams of bruised Slippery Elm in 100 c.c. and heated in a closed vessel in a water-bath for 1 hour and then strained. ---Other Species---
            Fremontia Californica, or Californian Slippery Elm, has bark with similar properties, and is used in the same way, but is not botanically related.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
              Thanks for this Leah. What would be the dosage for a cat?

              Marisa

            • Leah Ferron
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
                Marisa,

                I used to mix 1/8 teaspoon SEB into baby food 2x/day for Alec. He used to get really constipated from the lasix so I did it twice daily. It can also be made into a syrup and syringed. But Alec didn't mind it in his food so that was easier. Also, give it at least 1/2 - 1 hour before or after meds. It is possible that it could interfere with med absorption if given at the same time.

                Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
                  Thanks Leah!

                  Marisa

                • goldbe50
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Try www.puritan.com, Puritan's Pride for slippery elm bark. They are an
                    old, old company, good reputation, mail order and online only. Also
                    www.vitaminshoppe.com. Since my bottles are from Puritan, I assume they
                    were the cheapest. I think 250 mg is the correct dosage for a cat. I
                    know mine are too high. They were bought years ago for another cat
                    (long date)and I remember having trouble getting the right dosage.

                    I gave one capsule to Nessi as she is a little constipated (worked
                    wonders). She sniffed and sniffed and tried to eat it! I once got
                    slipper elm bark in pills, in England, maybe if I can get it that way
                    again, she'll eat them.

                    And if it doesn't work, it's the herbal treatment for ulcers, in
                    humans.

                    Judith