Vaccinations and Flea Prevention

  • Penny Branham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      I have a friend who had never missed a vaccination appointment nor a chance to do the flea
      thing. I felt she was compulsive about it to the point of harming her cats' lives. Her cats never lived beyond eight or nine years of age and died with liver disease or feline luk symptoms, although they didn't have it.

      I used to envy her ability to go to the vet every time the weather changed. I have never been financially 'set' so to speak, but have always provided my cats with the best food and supplements possible, (and thank God for loving vets, - with Snowballs' recent serious illness this spring, my vet worked out a payment plan for me and I was able to provide Snowball with care that made his last days much better.)

      Then I realized my cats were outliving hers. Mine are now 15 and 17, hers passed away a long time ago. I started looking into reasons why this could be. I heard that Phoebe, a little white cat who presided over the Grandview Accents for Wild Birds store on Grandview Avenue in Columbus, Oih, became the first cat whose sarcoma was linked to the adjuvant in the vaccines she had been receiving. OSU made the connection in a research program. That made me start looking into the vaccine thing. I knew Phoebe and sought her out each time I visited the store.

      And we all know what overdoses of flea medication can do. I have had flea infestation and it has been taken care of with just ONE treatment for all my cats and careful vaccuming. YOU MUST DISCARD THE VACUUMED CONTENTS each and every time you vacuum, IN A SEALED BAG OR SOMETHING THEY CANNOT ESCAPE FROM. Fleas are even able to crawl back up the drain pipe after you have washed them down. I used to burn my sweeper bags, now if I know I have some present I put the vacummed dirt in an airtight bag (you can sprinkle flea powder in the discard bag also). Otherwise, they will crawl back out of the dirt, the bag and cup or whatever, and you have wasted valuable time. Hopefully all your heart kitties are flea free and it is not necessary to worry. If not, please be careful and use chemicals very sparingly.

      Penny & Angel Snowball