Re: [FH] Internist or Cardiologist

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2007
      Hello & welcome,

      Please give us your name and the names of your kittens when you can.

      You're definitely better off going to a cardiologist. When my Maine Coon
      girl was diagnosed, it was by an internist. He prescribed a diuretic
      (lasix) for her. I found out from this group that giving a diuretic without
      using it in conjunction with heart medications is not good. The fluid
      builds up because of defects in the heart and without medication for the
      heart, the fluid would just keep building up.

      I then went to a cardiologist who was wonderful and kept my girl going for
      2-1/2 years even though her heart was pretty bad.

      Maine Coon cats are so great! Such a shame that they're prone to this awful
      disease. When my Pepper was diagnosed, her heart was already enlarged and
      she was in congestive heart failure (CHF). You're very fortunate that
      you've caught it early. Getting them on medication now could give them a
      long life.

      When you're ready, we can talk about diet, supplements and pilling
      techniques. There's a document in the Yahoo group Files section containing
      questions to ask the cardiologist at your fist visit. It's the 3rd from the
      bottom of the list.

      Sue & Angel Pepper