Internist or Cardiologist

  • odin2400
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2007
      Hello. I'm new here. I have two 7 month old Maine Coon kittens
      (littermates)that my regular vet feels are showing signs of
      cardiomyopathy. Chest x-rays were done and show some signs. He
      referred me to an Internist for a heart evaluation. Would I be better
      off using a Cardiologist? Fortunately, I live in the Cleveland, Ohio
      area and have access to both. Are there any members here who could
      refer a vet they are using? Thanks for any input you can provide.

      I just started reading the posts, so I know I'll be more informed very
      shortly.
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2007
        Hi,

        Welcome to you and your kitties. Please let us know all your names when you get a chance.

        We generally recommend a cardiologist first. If one is not available, an internist would be a good second. We have found that cardios are generally just better at the subtle problems that most heart kitties face and cardios are more up to date on the latest drugs and drug combinations.

        I live in Columbus, OH and can give you the name of two places that have cardios here but I do not know of any in Cleveland. Before you see the cardio, you may want to have some testing done at your regular vet's office to help with costs. You can then take all results to the cardio so tests do not have to be duplicated. Some of these tests are x-rays (which you already have), EKG and bloodwork.

        It is unfortunate that such kitties like Maine Coons have been troubled with HCM in their lines. Hopefully, if HCM is present in your kitties, it is in the early stages. With proper meds and supplements and a good diet, your kitties will live a long and happy life. We generally recommend supplements like CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10), taurine and l-carnitine as a good starting point. If you need more info on these, just email me. Most vets and cardios don't know about supplements but when asked say they won't help or hurt the kitty. We disagree, we think they help a lot.

        Please be sure to ask us any questions that you may have even if they aren't heart related because they often are. We are glad that you found us and we hope that your kitties are HCM free!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        odin2400 <ingle24@...> wrote:
        Hello. I'm new here. I have two 7 month old Maine Coon kittens
        (littermates)that my regular vet feels are showing signs of
        cardiomyopathy. Chest x-rays were done and show some signs. He
        referred me to an Internist for a heart evaluation. Would I be better
        off using a Cardiologist? Fortunately, I live in the Cleveland, Ohio
        area and have access to both. Are there any members here who could
        refer a vet they are using? Thanks for any input you can provide.

        I just started reading the posts, so I know I'll be more informed very
        shortly.

      • nala nala
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2007
          I'm so sorry to learn about the Maine Coon
          kiddos. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is, unfortunately
          fairly common in this breed, but without further
          examination by echocardiogram (ultrasound of the
          heart) a definitive diagnosis cannot be made. There
          are myriad other heart problems in cats.

          My first instinct would be that your kittens should
          see a cardiologist since that is available to you.
          However,
          it is also important to find someone who will work
          well
          with you and your primary vet. In my area there are a
          few cardiologists, but one in particular does not seem
          to work
          and play well with either clients or veterinary
          practices.
          At one time, this person was the only available
          option, but
          that is no longer true.

          I would start by asking a few questions, for example
          ask your
          vet why he suggests this particular internist. I
          would
          also ask him if he has had any dealings with one or
          another
          cardiologist etc. I would contact the internist or
          cardiologists
          myself, tell them the situation and ask how much
          experience
          they have working with and treating cats with
          suspected
          hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) and other
          myopathies.
          My cat's cardiologist had much more experience with
          Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and other dogs than
          with
          with cats, but I think this cardiologist was the best
          of the options available to me. The person with the
          most cat experience was the
          person who did not get along with clients or vets and
          refused
          to take my phone calls as a potential client.

          I would also call or stop by a few other veterinary
          practices
          for their opinions on the topic. Who is good and who
          respects
          patients, clients and primary vets.

          I hope this helps a bit and feel free to ask more
          questions as
          they arise.

          Nala, Camille and Cozette (5.30.07)

          The fish are biting.