Albert RIP 10/92 - 7/4/07

  • Sharyl55
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      It has been a very sad 4th for me. As Paul Harvey says 'And now for
      the rest of the story'

      As many of you know, I had a wonderful male cat named Fat Albert for
      14 1/2 yrs. Got him and his sister when they were just 8 weeks old.
      We called him Fat Albert after the Bill Crosby cartoon character Fat
      Albert. He was as wide as he was long and loved to eat. Absolutely no
      problems until Jan. 06 when he was diagnosed with severe periodontal
      disease. We scheduled him for a dental Feb. 06 and then found out he
      had advanced CRF. Just started to get a handle on the treatment
      protocol for the CRF and he went into CHF in Mar. 06. He ended up
      being diagnosed with severe HCM. You know it is bad when the IM Vet
      starts out the discussion with "I'm so very sorry."

      Unfortunately the treatment for CRF was fluids which are bad for his
      heart. For the last 16 months it has been a balancing act treating
      his kidneys and heart. Today I lost that battle. Albert died just a
      couple of hours ago. I have spent the last couple of days just
      holding him and telling him what a wonderful friend he has been for
      the last 14 1/2 yrs. He was the type of kitty you could stand on his
      head and he would just purr. I didn't need an alarm clock until he
      got sick. He would wake me up very morning so I would get up and feed
      him. He thought pillows were put on the bed just for him. He would
      lay on the bed on his back with his head on the pillow just like a
      person.

      Through all the poking, prodding, needles and meds he maintained a
      cheerful disposition. He laid in my lap without a complaint while
      getting fluids. I held him like a baby for our assist feeding
      sessions. When he had enough he would put his paw on my hand. I
      knew it was time to take a break. He would whine and talk to me
      whenever we got in the car until we had driven by the vets office.
      Then he knew he was in the clear and lay down and enjoy the trip.
      His 1st 1000 mile trip was from IA where we got him back to VA. Over
      the years we have made that trip several times. This last emergency
      trip in May when my FIL was dying seemed to be more than he could
      handle. Especially with the adverse living conditions we had at the
      in laws. But that couldn't be helped. I had known since early May
      he was failing. He knew he was loved and meant the world to me.

      Monday while we were outside he headed for a basket set against the
      house. When he went around one side a baby bunny rabbit hopped out
      from the other side. While I was picking him up to tell him what a
      great hunter he was Pequita caught and killed the rabbit. She
      brought it back to Albert and he immediately grabbed it. I had a
      heck of time getting it away from him. I hoped this was a sign he
      would be with me for a few more days but it wasn't to be. Today he
      was very weak and stopped eating. I knew if he didn't pass tonight I
      would have to go to the vet Thurs. In the end he gasped a few times
      and died in my arms. Hindsite is a wonderful thing. I should have
      gone to the vet Tuesday to have him PTS. I just couldn't put him
      thru the trauma of going to a 24 hr emergency clinic tonight unless
      he was showing signs of being in distress.

      I know I have been blessed to have the pleasure of his company for
      this last year and a half. He had been seen by several vets all of
      whom said he had only weeks left to live. I want to thank everyone
      in this group who offered advise, support and encouragement. It is
      because of your help that I had these additional months with Albert.

      Right now I am trying to decide whether to bury Albert in the flower
      bed or have him cremated. In a few days I will sort through the meds
      and supplements to see what I still need for Pequita, early stage
      CRF, and will post them for anyone in need.

      Thanks you for your prayers and support.
      Sharyl Pequita Tiki and Angel Albert
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
        Dear Sharyl,

        How very sorry I am to hear that Albert left you tonight. Your story
        about him was so beautiful and touching, especially how he'd put his
        paw on your hand when you were feeding him. My angel Sweetie was also
        a crf/chf kitty. I hear every word you wrote about how hard it was to
        balance both for Albert.

        I know how much it hurts. I'll light candle for Albert tonight, and
        say a prayer for you. Your love for him shows in every word you
        wrote. He most certainly was so very loved.

        My heart goes out to you.

        love,
        Carol, Chris and Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
        (angels Fritzy Sweetie Ducky Bouncer and Muffy)

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."