RE: [feline-heart] Boo Boo 5-6 yrs old heart&kidney: I'm forwarding an email answeres from my Vet

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2000

      Irina,

      My wife & I went through a similar situation last year, when our 16 year old
      boy, Tabby, was diagnosed with incurable cancer. I don't know you, but I do
      know just how you are feeling & I wish there were something I could do to
      make everything all right for you. I can well remember the pain & despair.
      But I also remember all of the good times we had with Tabby & how glad were
      to be with him & give him the love & attention he deserved during his final
      times.

      As to whether you should change vets, only you can answer that question,
      since I don't know your vet. From looking at his answers to your questions,
      however, he appears to be giving you very straightforward information.

      If you have only had one opinion from a vet, it might be worth taking the
      info to another vet to see what he/she says.

      > Please help me I feel so miserable. MY life has been a living nightmare.
      > I don't know how to accept it, back in my mind I am still hoping for this
      > diagnoses to be a mistake. I try to be optimistic , but it is soooooo
      > painful for me. I am a full time college student and work part
      > time, I feel sooooo helpless. I am about 2/3 weeks away from my finals
      but I
      > can't concentrate. I don't want to do do anything, go anywhere all I
      > want to do is find anything to make her life long, beautiful and
      comfortable!
      > My mind is killing me. All I do is search, search, search for some kind
      of
      > cure. Only if there was magic. My BOo BOO is so important to me, I would
      > give her my kidney and heart if it was possible! Please help me!

      I wish I had the words that would soothe your pain & cure your cat. When
      Tabby was sick, I prayed that I could take his cancer & that he would live
      on. I know of no magic to make this any easier for you.

      Here's some thoughts:

      1) By all means, find out all you can about Boo Boo's conditions. The more
      you know, the better you can help her, no matter the outcome.
      2) Treasure every moment with her.
      3) Be as strong as you can. Boo Boo neds you right now.
      4) While I'm not an expert on CRF or cardiac problems in cats, I do know
      that their prognosis is extermely variable. I know of cats that have lived
      comfortably for years, with appropriate care.
      5) Don't give up hope.
      6) Stay in contact with others who are in (or have had) similar situations.

      God bless you for loving this girl so much. Boo Boo is always in my prayers
      & thoughts.

      --
      JR
      & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx