Re: Respiration and blood pressure monitoring

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 9:08 PM
      Hi Helen,

      Anna's breathing reps are in a good place with between 20 and 28,
      maybe just a teeny bit high for a heart kitty. I like to see the
      breaths 24 or below, but 28's not too bad. I always worry when they
      get into the abdominal breathing too. I feel like they're working
      too hard for the breaths when they breathe down there.

      It might be worth mentioning also that I feel she is a little dry
      too, can this affect their breathing at all?

      Yes, in my experience with crf kitties, when they're dehydrated they
      tend to breathe harder too. My angel Sweetie who was crf/chf, when
      she was just crf, 3 years before her heart problems began, at times
      would breathe hard when she was dehydrated.

      I've also noticed with Chris now, that sometimes he will breathe
      harder and lower right after eating and drinking. He gets tired
      from the effort of eating/drinking and his respiration will go up
      for a bit for a while afterwards.

      If anyone also knows of a means of equipment by which I could
      measure her Bp at home I'd really love to hear,

      A Doppler Ultrasonic Flow Detector machine is what you use to
      measure BP on a cat or dog. I bought one like this (Model 811-B)
      from Parks Medical in the US.
      http://www.parksmed.com/products/?page=3.php
      They're expensive. With all the accessories, it comes to about $800.

      You're vet would have to order it for you, because they won't sell
      to individuals. You need the machine, probes (infant flat ones),
      cuffs, gel and a Sphygmomanometer. Here's the page with the prices
      and explanation of the accessories.
      http://www.parksmed.com/vet_prices.php If you go down to the middle
      of this page, there is a link that says "Blood Pressure Measurements
      on Animals".

      Here's another site that talks about BP too.
      http://www.petplace.com/cats/blood-pressure-in-cats/page1.aspx

      This site has good pictures of using the doppler machine.
      http://lbah.com/feline/hypertension.htm

      It's not difficult to take a BP with the doppler machine. You just
      shave a tiny spot on the back of one of their legs, just above their
      feet, or around the very base of the underside of the tail. You put
      the cuff just above where you shaved on the leg or tail and the spot
      where you shaved is where you put the infant probe. You put the gel
      on the probe and press that against the shaved area. You listen for
      the heartbeat/pulse, and when you hear it and have the probe
      positioned properly so you can keep hearing it, then you take the
      Sphygmomanometer (the thing with the bulb that you pump) and pump it
      until the meter on the Sphygmomanometer goes above about 250. Then
      you listen while the Sphygmomanometer lets out the air. You won't
      hear the heartbeat/pulse until it gets to the point where it can
      read the BP. You want the BP below 160, but I think closer to being
      below about 140 is better. At 160 they usually start BP meds.

      Well, thanks to everyone again for reading another long tome from
      me, I so hope to be able to post some better news soon

      I'll keep you and Ann in my prayers.

      love,
      Carol, Marcia and Chris, Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball
      and Chelsea
      (angels Fritzy Sweetie Ducky Bouncer and Muffy)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."