Re: [FH] Respiration and blood pressure monitoring

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 2:44 PM
      Hi Helen,
      This is the bp machine my vet has - very quiet - very expensive...on my wish
      list..
      http://www.petmap.com/

      Hugs,
      Candace

      On 7/2/07, helen stone <beingtherealways@...> wrote:

      > If anyone also knows of a means of equipment by which I could measure her
      > Bp at home I'd really love to hear, I'm a nursing sister so technique
      > shouldnt be an issue! but, finding some kind of equipment to do it is. My
      > vets have not been able to do this thru her stress and their fear of her
      > resp status, It's a bit of a catch 22. Her Bp in fact has never been
      > measured and I am extremely concerned (given her reaction to amlodipine.)
      > Much love
      > Helen

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 9:08 PM
        Hi Helen,

        Anna's breathing reps are in a good place with between 20 and 28,
        maybe just a teeny bit high for a heart kitty. I like to see the
        breaths 24 or below, but 28's not too bad. I always worry when they
        get into the abdominal breathing too. I feel like they're working
        too hard for the breaths when they breathe down there.

        It might be worth mentioning also that I feel she is a little dry
        too, can this affect their breathing at all?

        Yes, in my experience with crf kitties, when they're dehydrated they
        tend to breathe harder too. My angel Sweetie who was crf/chf, when
        she was just crf, 3 years before her heart problems began, at times
        would breathe hard when she was dehydrated.

        I've also noticed with Chris now, that sometimes he will breathe
        harder and lower right after eating and drinking. He gets tired
        from the effort of eating/drinking and his respiration will go up
        for a bit for a while afterwards.

        If anyone also knows of a means of equipment by which I could
        measure her Bp at home I'd really love to hear,

        A Doppler Ultrasonic Flow Detector machine is what you use to
        measure BP on a cat or dog. I bought one like this (Model 811-B)
        from Parks Medical in the US.
        http://www.parksmed.com/products/?page=3.php
        They're expensive. With all the accessories, it comes to about $800.

        You're vet would have to order it for you, because they won't sell
        to individuals. You need the machine, probes (infant flat ones),
        cuffs, gel and a Sphygmomanometer. Here's the page with the prices
        and explanation of the accessories.
        http://www.parksmed.com/vet_prices.php If you go down to the middle
        of this page, there is a link that says "Blood Pressure Measurements
        on Animals".

        Here's another site that talks about BP too.
        http://www.petplace.com/cats/blood-pressure-in-cats/page1.aspx

        This site has good pictures of using the doppler machine.
        http://lbah.com/feline/hypertension.htm

        It's not difficult to take a BP with the doppler machine. You just
        shave a tiny spot on the back of one of their legs, just above their
        feet, or around the very base of the underside of the tail. You put
        the cuff just above where you shaved on the leg or tail and the spot
        where you shaved is where you put the infant probe. You put the gel
        on the probe and press that against the shaved area. You listen for
        the heartbeat/pulse, and when you hear it and have the probe
        positioned properly so you can keep hearing it, then you take the
        Sphygmomanometer (the thing with the bulb that you pump) and pump it
        until the meter on the Sphygmomanometer goes above about 250. Then
        you listen while the Sphygmomanometer lets out the air. You won't
        hear the heartbeat/pulse until it gets to the point where it can
        read the BP. You want the BP below 160, but I think closer to being
        below about 140 is better. At 160 they usually start BP meds.

        Well, thanks to everyone again for reading another long tome from
        me, I so hope to be able to post some better news soon

        I'll keep you and Ann in my prayers.

        love,
        Carol, Marcia and Chris, Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball
        and Chelsea
        (angels Fritzy Sweetie Ducky Bouncer and Muffy)

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."