OT - questions to ask a someone who wants to adopt a cat

  • Emma
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 12:01 PM
      Hello everyone,

      This is off-topic, but thought I would ask everyone's opinion here.

      There are 2 beautiful strays in my yard, that I have been caring
      for, but they need permanant homes. I put ads up on Craigslist, and
      am recieving a lot of interest. What do I ask potential canidates
      who want to take-in these beautiful creatures? I've heard horror
      stories, and am so afraid to give them to someone who might hurt
      them...

      I've posted links below..

      http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364979174.html.

      http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364962004.html.

      Thanks,
      Emma
    • timbysmommy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 12:42 PM
        Hi Emma,

        A few things to consider:

        They should understand that you will be asking them for information
        and will be confirming this before they can bring home the cat. They
        should be ok with not being able to bring home the cat immediately.
        If they are itching to do so, very bad sign.

        Questions to ask/information to obtain:

        0.5) Their address and phone number (I added this one later which is
        why 0.5)

        1. Ask for a reference to landlord if renter and confirm ok to have
        cats (so they won't later be dumped) and get address so you can
        check it against town records if necessary.

        2. Ask for name of vet and call them to see if they are a regular
        client regarding exams, spay/neuter, shots, etc and the general
        impression of the vet.

        3. Ask for at least two personal references --they could be snow
        jobs, but at least you might get an inkling through the references
        and how they speak to you.

        4. Find out living situation-important things to find out--how many
        people live in the house, how many children and their ages, other
        animals in the house, whether they intend for this to be indoor only
        or indoor/outdoor, if i/o do they live on a heavily trafficked
        street, have they had other pet(s) and what happened to them (still
        living in the house or deceased and if deceased how did it happen),
        how do they feel about declawing. If they give evasive answers to
        these questions or seem to not want to answer them, big red flag.

        5. And try to engage them in general conversation about animals and
        animal issues--you can tell a lot by how someone responds to
        discussion about local animal issues or a particular case.

        6. Note whether they ask questions about the cats--their
        personalities, likes/dislikes, etc or whether it is all about them--
        could be a warning sign that they are not going to be tuned into
        what the cat needs but rather what they want for themselves.

        I would basically treat this as if you were a shelter and they are
        the potential adopter. Ask all the same questions and if you get a
        bad feeling about it, don't do it. And if the person bristles about
        being asked these questions, forget it. A responsible pet parent
        should not resent you confirming that you are placing these cats in
        good homes --they should be relieved that you are being so thorough.
        Anyone who expects to just pull up, say hello and drive away with a
        cat that same day--NO WAY--they could be bad news.

        Are there any no kill shelters in your area that you would trust to
        handle the adoption process? Many already have application forms and
        processes in place.

        Good luck and let us know how it works out!

        Linda and Angel Li Li

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Emma" <emmabina@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > This is off-topic, but thought I would ask everyone's opinion here.
        >
        > There are 2 beautiful strays in my yard, that I have been caring
        > for, but they need permanant homes. I put ads up on Craigslist, and
        > am recieving a lot of interest. What do I ask potential canidates
        > who want to take-in these beautiful creatures? I've heard horror
        > stories, and am so afraid to give them to someone who might hurt
        > them...
        >
        > I've posted links below..
        >

        > http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364979174.html.
        >
        > http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364962004.html.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Emma

      • Carole
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 1:01 PM
          I have also heard that it is a good idea to ask for a small adoption
          fee - it may weed out the ones that aren't carefully considering their
          desire to adopt a cat. You can turn around and donate the money to
          your local animal shelter.

          Most animal shelters have online adoption applications that you can
          use as a guide although the questions just posted here are excellent.

          Good luck in finding good homes.
        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2 1:02 PM
            Hi Emma,

            Is there anyone in your area who would be willing to adopt the kitties or
            what about a local vet or cat rescue agency...

            If you can have an in person home visit to see where the kitty would be
            living and how the environment is then that would be the best... Rescue
            agencies do this all the time when someone wants to adopt a kitty. When you
            ask this of the persons wanting to adopt - you can say you will be bringing
            along someone who is an adoption home interviewer and you will be having
            follow up visits too to see how the kitty is doing...how they react to this
            will tell you what their true intentions are.

            Otherwise I would try to find a rescue group, local vet or a friend or
            neighbor who could help these kitties find a home.

            Please let us know how things work out for the kitties..

            P.S. And everything Linda has said I second. :)

            Hugs,
            Candace

            On 7/2/07, Emma <emmabina@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > This is off-topic, but thought I would ask everyone's opinion here.
            >
            > There are 2 beautiful strays in my yard, that I have been caring
            > for, but they need permanant homes. I put ads up on Craigslist, and
            > am recieving a lot of interest. What do I ask potential canidates
            > who want to take-in these beautiful creatures? I've heard horror
            > stories, and am so afraid to give them to someone who might hurt
            > them...
            >
            > I've posted links below..
            >

            > http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364979174.html.
            >
            > http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pet/364962004.html.
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Emma

          • moonpye
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 1:09 PM
              Asking for an adoption fee is a great idea!!

              Candace

              On 7/2/07, Carole <carole@...> wrote:

              > I have also heard that it is a good idea to ask for a small adoption
              > fee - it may weed out the ones that aren't carefully considering their
              > desire to adopt a cat. You can turn around and donate the money to
              > your local animal shelter.
              >
              > Most animal shelters have online adoption applications that you can
              > use as a guide although the questions just posted here are excellent.
              >
              > Good luck in finding good homes.

            • Sue at MAGDRL
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3 5:07 AM
                Emma,

                You've gotten some great responses already. The information that Linda
                suggested you ask for is pretty much what my rescue group does when they
                adopt out our great danes. The only additional thing we do is a home visit.
                It may be to your advantage to work with a local rescue group who already
                does this and let them keep the adoption fee in return for helping you find
                a good home.

                Thanks for helping our strays!

                Sue & Angel Pepper