Dosing Question

  • jimmyd68_2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 6:41 AM
      Can anyone comment as to when it is advisable to actually lower the
      dose of lasix? I am noticing that Rolie is breathing quite well on the
      current dose of 6.25mg 2x day and was curious as to whether it might be
      a good idea to see if a lower dose would be as effective. I don't want
      to tinker with it too much but also don't want to overmedicate right
      now. I know the dose is not high as it is, but as we all know the
      fewer drugs we can use, the better. I haven't changed anything yet; I
      am just seeking guidance.

      Thanks,
      Jim
    • timbysmommy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 7:49 AM
        Hi Jim,

        I tried lowering Li Li's dose a couple of times. One time it did not
        work well at all and I had to bring it back. The only time it did was
        when I brought her in and out of "crisis dosing." I lowered it from
        crisis dose, which is only meant to be short term (18 mg 3-4x/day)
        back to her maintenance dose (18 mg 2x/day and 12.5 mg 1x/day). The
        general thought of my vet was "if it's not broken, don't fix it." He
        felt strongly that if a dose is working well and she is not having
        any negative side effects, just stick with it. What are your vet's
        thoughts on any dosing changes? Is Rolie having any side effects
        (signs of dehydration, vomiting, loss of appetite)?

        Even if Rolie is small/average sized, 6.25 mg 2x/day is not an overly
        high dose. 1-2 mg/kg is the Merck vet manual dosing recommendation,
        so for an 8 pound cat (3.6 kg), 6.25 mg would be about right in the
        range. Of course, vets often raise the dose of lasix way up to
        control symptoms, because, like the American Lung Association likes
        to say, "if you can't breathe, nothing else matters." I have read
        that it is well tolerated by most animals even at high doses. Li Li
        weighed 6 pounds and her maintenance dose was minimum 48 mg per day
        in 3-4 doses, plus spiro and HCTZ. But she was very advanced in her
        disease.

        I'd check with the vet on it--my guess is that he/she will not want
        to change this dose if Rolie is doing well. It is entirely possible
        that someday the dose will have to be increased depending on
        symptoms. I have not heard too many instances of animals being able
        to tolerate a permanently reduced dose, though, unless this was given
        to get through a short term crisis.

        Best,

        Linda and Angel Li Li

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jimmyd68_2000"