Nattokinase or aspirin?.. and Chris-Saturday

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      hi everyone,

      Marcia hasn't wanted to give Chris any aspirin or blood thinners
      ever since he became so anemic a week ago. But now that he's been
      on the Hemaplex and seems to be stronger and feeling better, has a
      little more color in his gums, we're thinking he really should be on
      something for preventing the clots.

      I've ALMOST got her convinced to try the Nattokinase, but I have to
      understand what they both do before I get her to give anything to
      Chris. I just want to know the risks first.

      The aspirin is a blood thinner, right? Does it actually dissolve a
      clot or just prevent new ones from forming?

      The Nattokinase is an enzyme derived from soy that "eats" the clots?
      Is that right? Does the Nattokinase also have blood thinning
      properties? If it does, then do you only give one or the other and
      not both Natto and aspirin? Do any of you give both?

      What is the dose of Natto that you give your furkids? The Natto I
      bought comes in these little liquid gels, so I can't really divide
      it up. I couldn't find any that was tablets or dry form in capsules.
      They were all liquid gels. The one I have is Nutricology NattoZyme
      and they're 100mg per gel. http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?
      c=1&pid=7788&at=0

      Chris is still doing okay. He ate on his own last night quite a
      bit, about half a 3 oz can of Wellness. This morning he didn't do as
      well, so I syringed another half oz of food into him so that he got
      at least his 1 1/2 oz of food each time he eats. His respiration is
      staying at around 36, and although I'd love to see that come down,
      at least it's not going up over the past 3 days.

      This morning he even did a big MEOW at Marcia when we were standing
      in the kitchen getting the food ready for everyone (she has two
      other kitties too...Ernie and Karina). That's the first time I've
      ever heard Chris meow, and it was a really loud one! :-) He's even
      started grooming himself after he eats again. He had stopped
      grooming after he threw the clot, so I'm really glad to see him do
      that again too.

      Thanks again, everyone, for all your help and encouragement, prayers
      and good thoughts. I really think it's helping him a lot.

      love,
      Carol, Marcia & Chris, Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and
      Chelsea
      (angels Fritzy Sweetie Ducky Bouncer and Muffy)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."
    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
        Hi Carol,
        Please read all the first posts for 'MY CAT LUIGI' - the first ones.
        Everyone explains extremely well all the different supplements
        including natto.
        There is no toxicity with natto. I googled it for more info also, and
        was impressed enough to switch from aspirin. It isn't a blood thinner.
        If you are unable to see those posts, I can redirect them to you.
        El
      • timbysmommy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
          Hi Carol,

          I don't have any experience with natto, but Li Li did take the baby
          aspirin (1/2 baby aspirin twice a week) and plavix (18.75 mg 1x/day).
          She did ultimately die from a clot, but may have a lot sooner if not
          for the clot prevention. She had a very large left atrium and
          apparently that posed a risk for clot formation. Every cat's risk
          profile for clots is different, although I think all HCM cats are at
          some risk for them. My vet said that they are doing clinical trials
          with aspirin/plavix/low molecular weight heparin and various
          combinations of them. Earlier data indicated that aspirin/plavix combo
          was as effective as aspirin/plavix/LMW hep, but that may change as
          these trials continue. I don't know how natto fits into the mix.
          Hopefully others will be able to comment on that, as some have
          experience with it.

          Best,

          Linda and Angel Li Li