Re: [FH] Bloodwork for Griffin

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hi Amanda,

      In a message dated 6/28/07 3:42:32 PM, justinamanda@... writes:

      > please refresh me on where the best place for the vet to draw
      > blood.

      I don't know if this is the best place...but our vet withdraws it from a back
      leg using a butterfly catheter, after communicating what she's going to do
      and while singing to the cats.

      > I know
      > from experience that his neck is always where they get his blood. It
      > seems to me that it would be extremely stressful and upsetting for
      > them.

      The whole vet experience, incl drawing blood, is upsetting for a cat. We can
      help it be less upsetting by communicating actively about our intentions and
      actions, reassuring the cat they you are both partners in health care and will
      be together thru the experience, and keeping our own stress level, dread, and
      anticipation very low. You can tell Griffin when he's going to have his appt,
      what he's going to experience, that you know it's upsetting but you'll be with
      him, that you need him to cooperate, and that you're doing your best to keep
      him healthy and strong. // Rosemary