Re: [FH] Attachments

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 28, 2007
      Hi Penny,

      Can you copy/paste the link to the page that the poem is on? or copy/paste
      the poem? As far as I know attachments are *not* allowed on most yahoo
      groups.

      Hugs,
      Candace

      On 6/28/07, Penny Branham <pennybranham@...> wrote:

      > To All who looked for the poem - I don't think this site allows
      > attachments. It was in my sent message, but not the one I received. Anyone
      > know?
      >
      > Penny & Angel Snowball

    • S Hilton
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 28, 2007
        For those of you tracking chest taps, Abu had his 6th one today (since March 12th). They are now about 2 weeks apart, and we routinely remove 210-230cc of fluid. (we removed 230cc of milky fluid today, and he weighed 1/2 lb less afterwards).

        We are lucky --- each time Abu stoically sits unrestrained (we do steady him and I usually rub his face and talk to him), the doctor and tech slowly extracts the fluid, and it's over. Takes about 10 minutes. Afterwards, Abu sat on the table for a minute or two --- looked like he was thinking or getting use to the feel of the fluid being gone, and then he walked over to me and stood up and put his arms on my shoulders to be picked up.

        I'm not crazy about the procedure but it certainly doesn't seem to bother Abu. In fact, he is very cooperative.

        Susan (and Abu)

      • jamander33
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 28, 2007
          Wow, it as if he knows what needs to be done and he just buckles
          down and does it. That is GREAT that he is so cooperative. You are
          incredibly fortunate. Tell Abu to keep up the good work! Amanda and
          Griffin

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 28, 2007
            Hi Susan,

            What a sweet, good boy Abu is :)

            Best to you both!

            Hugs,
            Candace

            On 6/28/07, S Hilton <tlpwtm1@...> wrote:

            > Afterwards, Abu sat on the table for a minute or two --- looked like he
            > was thinking or getting use to the feel of the fluid being gone, and then he
            > walked over to me and stood up and put his arms on my shoulders to be picked
            > up.
            >
            > I'm not crazy about the procedure but it certainly doesn't seem to bother
            > Abu. In fact, he is very cooperative.
            >
            > Susan (and Abu)

          • Sue at MAGDRL
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 29, 2007
              Susan,

              If the fluid is milky, that means it contains chyle which is a fluid from
              the lymphatic system. Chyle is often controlled by giving 500mg of rutin
              daily. The brand of rutin with the fewest fillers is GNC. It's a big pill
              and most people grind it up & add it to food. A few people on this list
              have had luck with it where it's eliminated the need for the chest taps.

              It's wonderful that Abu doesn't have a problem with them and he's so
              cooperative!

              Sue & Angel Pepper

              > For those of you tracking chest taps, Abu had his 6th one today (since
              March 12th). They are now about 2 weeks apart, and we routinely remove
              210-230cc of fluid. (we removed 230cc of milky fluid today, and he weighed
              1/2 lb less afterwards).

              > We are lucky --- each time Abu stoically sits unrestrained (we do steady
              him and I usually rub his face and talk to him), the doctor and tech slowly
              extracts the fluid, and it's over. Takes about 10 minutes. Afterwards, Abu
              sat on the table for a minute or two --- looked like he was thinking or
              getting use to the feel of the fluid being gone, and then he walked over to
              me and stood up and put his arms on my shoulders to be picked up.

              > I'm not crazy about the procedure but it certainly doesn't seem to
              bother Abu. In fact, he is very cooperative.

              > Susan (and Abu)

            • Janie
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 29, 2007
                Susan is he on Rutin. I may have missed this but milky is what Blackie
                had and Rutin helped? Janie
              • Janie
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 29, 2007
                  You know I have been with my cat for chest tap and another who had
                  cancer and she had her stomach area tapped and they just held her. They
                  didnt act in pain. No medication was used. They let us go in for
                  anything I can even watch the surgery if I want. One of the new drs
                  thought I was a doctor!!!!! we still laugh about that. I just read all
                  I can and after having 12 cats and all the illness I know a few things
                  from groups like this. This is the most wonderful group and all my
                  heart kittys are gone but I cant pull away as I think someone might
                  need something or Im still keeping track of some. We have 4 cats left
                  over the yrs the most we had was 8 and a dog. One has fiv postive but
                  he is healthy. Im sorry for some today as they are in pain and Chris
                  is still with us and that was good news even went out in the garden.
                  Hope all have a good day. Janie
                • Penny Branham
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 29, 2007
                    Janie,

                    Your input and others - it is wonderful to have a site like this. I think it gives the heart kitties much more of a chance for quality treatment and prolonged life many times, and I can't even begin to tell you what it has done for me. I come from families that do not understand such deep love and compassion for a four legged companion. How much they miss!!! It has been a positive affirmation for me as an individual as well as making the world a better place for my kitties and others. So, pass it on!!!

                    Hugs and PUrrrrrs - Penny & Angel Snowball

                    Janie <sockster@...> wrote:
                    You know I have been with my cat for chest tap and another who had
                    cancer and she had her stomach area tapped and they just held her. They
                    didnt act in pain. No medication was used. They let us go in for
                    anything I can even watch the surgery if I want. One of the new drs
                    thought I was a doctor!!!!! we still laugh about that. I just read all
                    I can and after having 12 cats and all the illness I know a few things
                    from groups like this. This is the most wonderful group and all my
                    heart kittys are gone but I cant pull away as I think someone might
                    need something or Im still keeping track of some. We have 4 cats left
                    over the yrs the most we had was 8 and a dog. One has fiv postive but
                    he is healthy. Im sorry for some today as they are in pain and Chris
                    is still with us and that was good news even went out in the garden.
                    Hope all have a good day. Janie

                  • Leah Ferron
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Susan,

                      I do not want to alarm you but milky fluid from the chest is not normal. Did the vet say anything when they saw this? Did they suggest any testing on the fluid. The milky fluid has a good chance of being Chyle. My Alec had chylous pleural effusion. I would talk to your vet about having the fluid tested for chyly. If it is chyle or they can tell you by relative certainity that it is chyle without testing, you need to treat Abu with rutin as Sue already said. I agree with the GNC brand at 500mg per day. They are big pills but they break and crush easily. They do have a smell but no taste as I remember. If Abu is not already on spiro, you may want to ask about adding that to his regimen too.

                      Again, not to scare you but chylous pleural effusion is not to be taken lightly, you need to know this. It needs to be treated. It is a condition that can come about from heart disease or others things like cancer or spontaneously. If you do a google search on chylous pleaural effusion you will get some info that should be read. It can be life-threatening and not always treatable. Our group has had pretty good success with rutin though.

                      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

                    • Leah Ferron
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 16, 2007
                        This was meant for the group too.

                        S Hilton <tlpwtm1@...> wrote:
                        After reading the following email from Leah, and some earlier postings, we decided to do a chest tap from Abu's left side AND right side. As usual he was very patient, and sat there calmly while we poked and prodded. He doesn't even flinch when the needle goes in. Again, we got very little from the usual side -- 50cc. But, we pulled 150cc from the other side. I am guessing that the permeable membrane between both sides of the chest isn't so permeable anymore --- from the chyle scarring, perhaps?

                        Anyway, I'm hoping that the Rutin is slowing the fluid buildup, which might explain why we are getting less from the one side. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks.

                        Regardless, Abu is climbing and jumping on everything --- tables, counters, cat trees --- as if he's started another of his "lives". He's obviously feeling quite good and is very happy with life at the moment.

                        Thanks, Leah, for the Rutin recommendation.

                        Susan (and Abu)

                        Leah Ferron <leahandhercats@...> wrote:
                        Susan,

                        Anything is possible but I would not think the Rutin is working that quickly. What kinds of problems did you run into today? Is it that they couldn't get fluid? Or wouldn't Abu let them? If they had trouble getting the fluid, did they try both sides of the chest? If so, and you couldn't get to the fluid then the chyle may already be causing pockets from the webbing it creates with scar tissue. The fluid that they got out is probably still chyle just with more blood in it. What did the vet say when they did the tap? Keep giving the rutin and the duiretics no matter what. No matter how much fluid you got out of Abu, it is helpful.

                        Leah and Angel Alec

                        S Hilton <tlpwtm1@...> wrote:
                        Abu had tap last Thursday, and we drew off about 230cc. He started 250mg Rutin (2xday) several days ago. He was exhibiting the labored breathing again and the chest xray this a.m. showed about the same fluid levels as last week before that draw. The tap today did not go well, and we didn't get much fluid out.

                        My question: the fluid in the past was very milky white, or slightly tinged with blood. Today is was very bloody and watery. Could the Rutin have blocked the Chyle buildup so quickly? And, if so, just what is that fluid?

                        Susan