Diltiazem thrice daily

  • Eithne Tynan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello everyone, I'm just looking for some more advice about medicating my
      cat Pilgrim (diagnosed with RCM). He's been prescribed Diltiazem (a quarter
      tablet three times a day). He's also on a diuretic (Furosemide, a quarter
      tablet twice a day), and half of a 75mg aspirin tablet every third day. At
      the moment he's also on an twice-daily antibiotic because there is low-lying
      infection in his lungs. But it's the heart drug that's the problem
      obviously. Does anyone know of any substitutes for Diltiazem that can be
      given less frequently? With having to medicate him this often, I'm fighting
      with him half the day and his eyes are starting to blacken at the sight of
      me. A quarter of a tablet is a curse as well. Why can they not manufacture
      the tablets in the dose that's required? It's very frustrating. Any ideas?
      Thanks

      Eithne
    • Penny Branham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2007
        Hello Eithne,

        Many have had luck with pill pockets. Some pet stores carry them. Some have luck squishing them in treats. I tried that and mixing with foods - at the time, I did not know about the pill pockets - it was still a battle. I hope you find something that works. I am sure others have better advice than I. I remember some members will compound medication - have it mixed so there are fewer doses to give - and put them in small capsules (or mix with food). Of course, the meds have to be compatible with each other (ask your pharmacist, sometimes the vets/docs don't know as much about that as they do) and have to be able
        to be given at the same time.

        Does he have a favorite treat? Sometimes treating after pilling removes some of the negativity surrounding the episode.

        Good luck!! Penny and Angel Snowball

        Eithne Tynan <eithne@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2007
          Eithne,

          I could never give pills to my girl Pepper. However she was wonderful with
          liquid medications. I originally had her medicines compounded into a
          liquid. A compounding pharmacist can do this by grinding up the pills into
          a flavored liquid (with very precise measurements). The liquids come in
          many flavors - I chose "tuna".

          After some time, I decided to save myself some money by doing it myself. I
          would remove the plunger from an oral syringe and insert the pill. Then I
          would carefully replace the plunger and then draw up a bit of liquid (e.g.
          water or tuna juice), then let it set until the pill melted. Then I would
          give her the medicine.

          Other options are giving the pill hidden in a Pill Pocket or other special
          treat like cream cheese.

          Since these medications are made for humans, they unfortunately don't come
          in the correct doses for cats. I purchased a pill splitter at my local
          pharmacy for a couple dollars. It made pill cutting so much easier.

          Sue & Angel Pepper

          > Hello everyone, I'm just looking for some more advice about medicating my
          > cat Pilgrim (diagnosed with RCM). He's been prescribed Diltiazem (a
          quarter
          > tablet three times a day). He's also on a diuretic (Furosemide, a quarter
          > tablet twice a day), and half of a 75mg aspirin tablet every third day. At
          > the moment he's also on an twice-daily antibiotic because there is
          low-lying
          > infection in his lungs. But it's the heart drug that's the problem
          > obviously. Does anyone know of any substitutes for Diltiazem that can be
          > given less frequently? With having to medicate him this often, I'm
          fighting
          > with him half the day and his eyes are starting to blacken at the sight of
          > me. A quarter of a tablet is a curse as well. Why can they not manufacture
          > the tablets in the dose that's required? It's very frustrating. Any ideas?
          > Thanks
          >
          > Eithne

        • toomany_kittys
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2007
            Hi,
            My Luigi is also on diltiazem. His is compounded for cats into a time
            release capsule at a drugstore and is only given once a day. My vet
            also has the aspirin compounded especially for cats and it comes in a
            capsule. A cardiologist or critical care hospital may be able to
            prescribe the drugs from a pharmacy that compounds drugs especially
            for pets. I've also in the past cut up Temptation treats and put the
            pills into where the soft center is. Other than that, I can't add
            more to what Sue said. Good luck!