Re: [FH] Hello, I'm New to the List

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
      This was meant for the group too.

      fluffydominic <fluffydominic@...> wrote: Leah, Thank you for taking so much time and effort for me and
      Dominic. It really means a lot to me! To answer your questions,
      Dominic had an MRI by a neurologist that showed a large right sided
      lesion in the spinal cord at the level of the L4 and L5 disc space.
      This is known as an ischemic myelopathy or a stroke in the spinal
      cord. Despite his stroke and inability to use his hind limbs,
      Dominic did have good pulses to his back legs. So far he is doing
      well, but I am worried about a reoccurence. About two weeks later,
      Dominic was breathing heavily and his hind left foot was swollen.
      Again I took him to the ER. At this time he was treated with
      oxygen. X-rays revealed fluid around the heart and in the lungs.
      He did see a cardiologist and had an ultrasound that revealed HCM.
      He does not have high blood pressure or thyroid problems. Another
      problem is that he is anemic. When he was in the hospital, his red
      blood cell count was 14. They would have given him a blood
      transfusion, but his heart would not have been able to take that
      much fluid all at once. My vet and the vet at the ER think he has
      an ulcer, possibly from the medications he was on for the stroke.
      His red blood cell count went to 23 the week after his
      hospitalization, then to 19 last Tuesday. That is why they do not
      want to put him on an anti-clotting medicine right now because of
      the risk of bleeding. I will ask my vet about the natto. The
      thought of another clot is very troubling to me. My regular vet
      does have a cardiologist that comes to her office from time to
      time. I will have them review Dominic's case and what the
      cardiologist from the ER recommends. Now is a scarey time, like you
      said, I am trying to get things with him under control and learn as
      much as I can to help him. I feed him canned food mostly and add
      water to it. He has water dishes galore and is drinking well. My
      first order of business is to get him back on low amounts of sub-q's
      and start coQ10 and fish oil supplements. Your advice on monitoring
      the breathing is helpful. I am paranoid about the breathing, I am
      constantly checking for problems. He purrs a lot, so like you
      suggested, I try to wait until he is sleeping, but not dreaming.
      Dominic has a lot of issues, but I am still hopeful that he can do
      well. I am welling to do whatever it takes to help him! He has not
      given up and neither have I. I really appreciate your advice. I am
      glad I found all of you! Vets are great, as they so often help our
      animal friends, but they are human too and can't possibly know
      everything. That is why everyone's experiences and advice on this
      group are so vital. Right now I need to be his voice and exhaust
      all resources to make sure that he is getting the best care
      possible. It is a huge comfort knowing that I am not alone and I
      will keep you posted!

      Sincerely,

      Anne

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        Anne,

        Dominic has a condition that we have not seen in this group yet with the ischemic myelopathy. I did some research on it and I was very glad to see that it is not a painful condition. Has he regained his use of the legs yet?

        Did the vets give you lasix for him since he has fluid retension? Let us know how he is doing whenever you get a chance.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec