just diagnosed with CM

  • drsarachiara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello -

      I just found this group and thought that I would join. My little
      Elvira was diagnosed with unclassified CM. I didn't know she had it
      until she went into heart failure Sunday night. It has been a rough
      few days for us. Her left atrium is "severely" enlarged and there is
      evidence of hypercoagulability. She is on lasix, enalapril, and baby
      aspirin. I have never had to pill her before and am quite nervous
      about it. I reviewed some of the earlier posts and hopefully something
      will work. It is so hard to go through this right now. I just can't
      imagine her passing when she is only 5 yrs old. I imagined she would
      live at least 10 more years!

      Thanks for having this group available. My partner is in another state
      this year and am on my own here...

      Sara
    • jamander33
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi Sara, Welcome to our group. You have found a wonderful place for
        support and advice. My cat, Griffin, was diagnosed about 4 months
        ago and I remember how overwhelmed I was at 1st. This group has some
        awesome people that have been members for years and truly know so
        much about this disease. I will let them guide you, as they are so
        much more knowledgable than me. My Griffin is young too, only 31/2.
        It is very hard, I do understand. Please ask lots of questions and
        read older posts, you will learn a lot. The one thing I have found
        is to go slowly with everything you do as far as meds. and
        supplements. Some are very upsetting to the tummy. Griffin has been
        changed to a high quality canned food and he is supplemented with
        fish oil (omega 3's) and coq10. He was initially put on a beta-
        blocker, however he did not tolerate. Good luck and let us know how
        things are going. Amanda and Griffin

        > Hello -
        >
        > I just found this group and thought that I would join. My little
        > Elvira was diagnosed with unclassified CM. I didn't know she had
        it
        > until she went into heart failure Sunday night. It has been a
        rough
        > few days for us. Her left atrium is "severely" enlarged and there
        is
        > evidence of hypercoagulability. She is on lasix, enalapril, and
        baby
        > aspirin. I have never had to pill her before and am quite nervous
        > about it. I reviewed some of the earlier posts and hopefully
        something
        > will work. It is so hard to go through this right now. I just
        can't
        > imagine her passing when she is only 5 yrs old. I imagined she
        would
        > live at least 10 more years!
        >
        > Thanks for having this group available. My partner is in another
        state
        > this year and am on my own here...
        >
        > Sara

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
          Sara,

          Welcome to you and Elvira. I am sorry to hear about Elvira's condition but glad that you found us. Unfortunately, you found out about Elvira the same way most of did. It is very scary, we know. I am sorry you are separated physically from your partner. Now is a time when support is really needed but hopefully we can help with that. We are here for you whenever you need it.

          The drugs that were prescribed are pretty normal for her condition. The first few months after being diagnosed are always the hardest. This is when meds sometimes need adjusted, up or down, and your kitty will need to adjust to how they make her feel. Some kitties have no problems with meds while other kitties do not tolerate the heart meds very well. If Elvira is lethargic at first, that is normal. If it lasts for more than a week, tell the vet, the heart med may need adjusted. Lasix is a med that will eventually need adjusted as the heart disease progresses. More lasix will be needed as the heart stops functioning as well. A way to tell when more lasix is needed is by respiration rate. A normal kitty's rate is 20-30 breathes/minute. When the rate is above 30, fluid is being retained in/outside the lungs and more lasix is needed. There is a document in the file section of the group to help with counting breathing. Make sure that you count while the kitty is at rest and
          not purring or dreaming as this will increase the rate. You will get to be a pro at counting breathes in a little while.

          Something that you may want to consider is adding supplements to Elvira's diet like CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10), taurine and l-carnitine to name a few. If you want more info on supplements, just email me. Another thing you may want to do if you aren't already is putting Elvira on a quality canned diet. The moisture will help too because the lasix will being taking a lot from her. Be sure to let her drink as much fresh water as she wants to because of the lasix too. Don't be alarmed with her increased drinking and peeing, this is normal with lasix.

          Another thing I forgot to mention about the meds prescribed, aspirin can sometimes be very hard on a kitty's stomach. If this happens, ask the vet about other anti-clotting meds like plavix or lovenox. Something else that we in this group like is a natural enzyme called Nattokinase. There is some info in the files section of the group about this too. it can be found at health food stores or online. I used it for my Angel Alec who had RCM and he never had a clot. Natto has shown to dissolve clots in studies so you may want to consider it since Elvira had some clotting developing in her heart.

          Be sure to ask any question that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is. We are glad you found us.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec