Alice update - enalapril maleate prescribed

  • lismgreen25
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 3:09 PM
      Hello everyone,

      First and ofremost I just want to say how comforting it is to have
      souch a terrific support group.

      Alice was diagnosed today with a slightly enlarged heart (could be due
      to inflamation or her hyper-t), as well as a little bit of fluid
      around the heart.

      The cardiologist prescribed enalapril (2.5 mg), 1 tab. daily, and we
      started her on it today. He also suggested a chest x-ray to see if
      there is fluid in her lungs.

      I didn't get a chance to speak with the cardiologist since I had to
      work; my sweetie unfortunately forgot to ask some significant
      questions, e.g., if this is only a temporary condition (inflammation
      due to stress), will she need to go back for another echo (how long)
      to see if the condition has been treated? The vet tech said if it's
      related to her hyper-T (under control, t- 4 last reading pre-illness
      1.7) she will be on the med. for life.

      The vet tech said her loss of appetite could be related to the heart
      condition, however, unless she suddenly developed this condition
      within the past week, that's understandable, however, before her
      checkup/vaccination last week, she had a very hardy appetite. She's
      been 15 lbs. for the past several years and loves to eat.

      The vet tech admitted that maybe "her body is building an immunity to
      the vaccine" (that might explain the fever last week, lethargy, no
      appetite, etc. She is doing better though, gradually over the past
      couple of days is slowing coming back to life, walking around the apt
      more but still sleeping a lot. We continue to syringe feed.

      Thanks again for the feedback!

      best,
      Lisa