Update on Apollo & My Second "Heart Kitty"

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello, everyone!

      I am a really bad group member and mostly an occasional lurker, but I
      thought I'd emerge long enough to give an update on our latest trip
      to the cardiologist.

      Apollo is a 2-ish(?) yo kitty with aortic stenosis, concentric left
      ventricular hypertropy and mild aortic valve leakage. He has a grade
      IV/V heart murmur. He takes Atenolol 25 mg - 1/2 pill daily. He had
      a six month follow-up echo today, and the news is mostly good:

      The heart murmur is unchanged, but the heartbeat is strong and
      regular. BP is 150. The hypertropy has actually improved slightly!
      The cardiologist was really pleased with his progress and is leaving
      the meds as-is. His next echo is in 12 months. :-)

      I'm less happy about Gizmo's results.

      First, the background: Gizmo is 16 1/2 and is having a rough year.
      He has no teeth, as they were all pulled last summer, because of
      severe LPGS. The extractions were extremely helpful, but he still
      has a little bit of redness and tenderness. In February, he was
      successfully treated with I-131 for hyperthyroidism, but the heart
      murmur that he developed as a result of the hyperT didn't resolve.
      In the meantime, he became severely hypertensive - BP measured as
      high as 270(!)and concerns about early renal failure were also
      confirmed.

      Giz had his first echo today (and no two-fer discount, either, sheesh!
      lol). Like Apollo, he has mild thickening of the left ventricular
      wall. He also has left ventricular outflow obstruction, but a normal
      left atrial diameter measurement. Blood pressure is still elevated,
      at 185, and he has an occasional "gallop" in his heart rate.

      He will be taking 1/4 tab of Atenolol (and I thought that cutting
      those in half was difficult!), in addition to the Norvasc (1/4 of a
      2.5 mg tab). He will continue with 100 cc subQ fluids 3x week. We
      are doing a BP recheck and full chemistry panel in two weeks with our
      regular vet. He has another echo in six months.

      I know that it could have been much, much worse, and I'm not really
      surprised with the results. I'm just a little overwhelmed at the
      challenge of balancing everything, and discouraged that everytime we
      get something resolved, along comes something else. I understand
      that he is an old kitty and that none of this should be unexpected,
      but it is still upsetting. I'm sure many people on the list know
      where I'm coming from.

      Anyone have words of wisdom or recommendations for the care and
      feeding of CRF/heart kitties?

      Thanks,

      Rebecca and the Boys