Re: [FH] Hello, I'm New to the List

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Anne, welcome to this list, though sorry you have to be here like the rest of us. Its a very difficult dance, with the kidneys and the heart. One thing that jumps out at me, how was it that he was diagnosed with a stroke? Him not being able to use his back legs suddenly sounds alot like saddle thrombosis. Are they sure he didnt throw a clot? How was he diagnosed with HCM? Did he have an ultrasound? Also wondering why he was given Lasix if his chest xray was fine? Did they say he had fluid build up? I'm treating my dog with CRF too, I'd be afraid to totally stop sub q's. Even if its just 25cc or 50, could you get that into him? But thats dependant on how bad he has fluid build up, if he has it.

      Even mild HCM is usually treated with a beta blocker, though a small amount. Did you see a cardiologist or was the diagnosis coming from a regular vet?

      There are other safer anti clotting agents other than aspirin - Nattokinase, Lovenox

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
        This was meant for the group too.

        fluffydominic <fluffydominic@...> wrote: Leah, Thank you for taking so much time and effort for me and
        Dominic. It really means a lot to me! To answer your questions,
        Dominic had an MRI by a neurologist that showed a large right sided
        lesion in the spinal cord at the level of the L4 and L5 disc space.
        This is known as an ischemic myelopathy or a stroke in the spinal
        cord. Despite his stroke and inability to use his hind limbs,
        Dominic did have good pulses to his back legs. So far he is doing
        well, but I am worried about a reoccurence. About two weeks later,
        Dominic was breathing heavily and his hind left foot was swollen.
        Again I took him to the ER. At this time he was treated with
        oxygen. X-rays revealed fluid around the heart and in the lungs.
        He did see a cardiologist and had an ultrasound that revealed HCM.
        He does not have high blood pressure or thyroid problems. Another
        problem is that he is anemic. When he was in the hospital, his red
        blood cell count was 14. They would have given him a blood
        transfusion, but his heart would not have been able to take that
        much fluid all at once. My vet and the vet at the ER think he has
        an ulcer, possibly from the medications he was on for the stroke.
        His red blood cell count went to 23 the week after his
        hospitalization, then to 19 last Tuesday. That is why they do not
        want to put him on an anti-clotting medicine right now because of
        the risk of bleeding. I will ask my vet about the natto. The
        thought of another clot is very troubling to me. My regular vet
        does have a cardiologist that comes to her office from time to
        time. I will have them review Dominic's case and what the
        cardiologist from the ER recommends. Now is a scarey time, like you
        said, I am trying to get things with him under control and learn as
        much as I can to help him. I feed him canned food mostly and add
        water to it. He has water dishes galore and is drinking well. My
        first order of business is to get him back on low amounts of sub-q's
        and start coQ10 and fish oil supplements. Your advice on monitoring
        the breathing is helpful. I am paranoid about the breathing, I am
        constantly checking for problems. He purrs a lot, so like you
        suggested, I try to wait until he is sleeping, but not dreaming.
        Dominic has a lot of issues, but I am still hopeful that he can do
        well. I am welling to do whatever it takes to help him! He has not
        given up and neither have I. I really appreciate your advice. I am
        glad I found all of you! Vets are great, as they so often help our
        animal friends, but they are human too and can't possibly know
        everything. That is why everyone's experiences and advice on this
        group are so vital. Right now I need to be his voice and exhaust
        all resources to make sure that he is getting the best care
        possible. It is a huge comfort knowing that I am not alone and I
        will keep you posted!

        Sincerely,

        Anne

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
          Anne,

          Dominic has a condition that we have not seen in this group yet with the ischemic myelopathy. I did some research on it and I was very glad to see that it is not a painful condition. Has he regained his use of the legs yet?

          Did the vets give you lasix for him since he has fluid retension? Let us know how he is doing whenever you get a chance.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec