Re: [FH] Just diagnosed...

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2007
      Hello,

      Welcome to you and Minerva Jones! Please let us know your name when you get a chance. I am sorry to hear about Minerva's condition but glad that you found us. As you already know, murmurs are not normal in kitties. It sounds like you already have had a few echocardiograms. That is great! Did a cardiologist do the echo or a regular vet? It is good that Minerva is asymptomatic right now. Many people have their kitties on meds, like Minerva, and are asymptomatic. We have seen a few kitties have problems with atenolol so be sure to keep this in the back of your head. Intolerance to drugs can develop over time too.

      Something that you may want to consider is giving supplements like CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and some others. If you want more info on supplements, just email me. This group is a big supporter of supplements and most kitties here use at least one but most use more. The supplements won't cure Minerva but hopefully will slow the progression of the disease.

      Don't get bogged down with the diagnosis. There have been many kitties that have lived long happy lives with HCM. Treating it while it is still asymptomatic will hopefully contribute to Minerva's long life. Although most vets give grim prognosis for HCM, it doesn't always happen that way. So in other words, don't give up!

      Be sure to ask us any questions that you may have even if they aren't heart related because they often are. We are glad you two are here!

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec