Re: [FH] Weight Loss and Cold Feet

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2007
      Hi Barbara,

      I saw that others have mentioned cold hind feet can be
      a symptom of reduced hindlimb blood circulation due to
      a clot, it is also possible that circulation to the
      hindlimbs is somewhat reduced simply because the heart
      isn't pumping as efficiently as it once did.

      Cozette (heart kitty) often has cool hind limb paws
      compared to the front paws. Most of the time when she
      gets up and moves around, a more normal temerature is
      restored.

      I agree that it might be worth a call to the vet if
      this doesn't seem to be a temporary or sporadic
      condition and if the situation should change as was
      already described, then a trip to the vet is needed
      ASAP (e.g. hind limb weakness, pain, etc.)

      As for the sudden weight loss, it could be caused by
      many things.
      The weight loss concerns me more than the cool feet.
      This certainly warrants a call, if not a visit, to the
      vet. I think I would schedule an appointment if it
      were my cat.

      My cat also experienced a sudden dramatic weight loss
      that was assumed to be from muscle wasting due to
      heart disease by both her regular vet and her
      cardiologist. Turns out that she had elevated kidney
      values. They had doubled from her usual high normal
      values, however she had slowed down her eating and
      drinking and was more lethargic than usual.

      When in doubt, I always call the vet and then decide
      from there whether or not a visit is indicated.

      Best to you and Bo.

      Nala

      --- Barbara Kraus <bjk5377@...> wrote:

      > Bo has dropped a bit of weight lately
      He had been dropping weight slowly but lost
      > 3 oz. last week and 3
      > more oz. when I weighed him yesterday. I felt his
      > paw pads this morning and
      > thought his back pads were slightly colder than his
      > front pads.
      >
      > He acts fine, he's active, eating well, good
      > attitude. He takes
      > glucosamine, pepcid, and lotensin each day.
      >
      > The vet has scheduled an internist to take an echo
      > on June 4 but the
      > slightly colder back pads and the faster weight loss
      > are making me nervous -
      > it this an emergency visit type of thing today? Or
      > something where he
      > should be at the vet's tomorrow?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Barbara