Re: Pumpkin's renal profile

  • Lynna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2001
      If he is deyhydrated the vet would have told you. To check at home,
      pull his skin away from his neck and see if it goes right back in
      place. you know what I mean? If it goes right back into place he is
      NOT dehydrated. Yes, his Creatinine is high - but that can come down
      with proper hydration and with the change in his meds. So wait it out.
      His potassium is ok - do you happen to know his phospheros level?

      Anyhow just make the change in meds and give him plenty of water by
      mouth. If you want to you can fill up a baby feeding syringe and wrap
      him in a towel with his front paws inside the towel and give him water
      that way if you feel he isn't drinking enough.

      The vets can also teach you how to give subq fluids if he needs that.
      dehyration can be fixed. But first you need to find out if he is
      deydrated. Can you just stop by a local vet and have the vet tech
      check for you?
      Lynna

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
      > here are the numbers in micromoles and millimoles....that's what
      they use in
      > jamaica:
      >
      > potassium 5.2
      > sodium 167 (normal is 145-160)is also slightly above normal
      > creatinine 174 (normal is 44.2-106) so this is very high....
      > bun 8
      > chlolride 118
      > bicarbonate 19
      > total protein 93
      > albumnin 39
      > globulin 54
      >

      > can anyone tell me how to get him hydrated if he is
      dehydrated????what can i
      > do???? and it's been so hot here lately that i get dehyddrated
      myself...what
      > can i do to help him??? pls tell me someone..........

      USA
      > > is hard
      > > when you need medical care for a sick baby like my lpumpkin.
      > >
      > > linda

      Service.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2001
        life here is complicated: the vet must come to check him at home bec of his
        quarantine status. but that's ok and we actually prefer it bec the vet's
        office is a bit of a zoo and it would stress him oout too much. i have done
        the neck skin check and my vet in houston showed me how to do it and i don't
        think he's dehydrated and i do think it was the meds but we stopped the
        enalapril yesterday...the vet will draw bllood on thursday to check his
        levels and no we don't have the phosphorus level....i have started hydrating
        him...giving him water in a syringe like you said and he
        s very cooperative and we just sit on the counter and do it....and i also
        bought "rehydrat" which is bsically gatorade type thing except you buy it in
        the pharmacy and add water to the powder and drink it and so i gave him a
        tablesppoon and he hatred it but did ok and that also with a syringe....i
        have put him back on his regular cat food which is science diet senior with
        50% lite science diet mixieed together and he is drinking more water again
        and we are very carefully monitoring the litter box and my husband said that
        today it was back to normal with the right amount of urine....tomorrow night
        we'll try to get a urine specimen for analysis and hope for the best.....i
        will hope and pray for the best results possible....in late feb all his
        blood profile was done and it was all normal range.....i am praying for it
        all to return to normal.....god bless poor pumpkin....we have always called
        him the cat from heaven.

        thank you for your thoughts and kind words....pls send all suggestions

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2001
          what about his sodium levels? what does that mean????

          If he is deyhydrated the vet would have told you. To check at home,
          pull his skin away from his neck and see if it goes right back in
          place. you know what I mean? If it goes right back into place he is
          NOT dehydrated. Yes, his Creatinine is high - but that can come down
          with proper hydration and with the change in his meds. So wait it out.
          His potassium is ok - do you happen to know his phospheros level?

          Anyhow just make the change in meds and give him plenty of water by
          mouth. If you want to you can fill up a baby feeding syringe and wrap
          him in a towel with his front paws inside the towel and give him water
          that way if you feel he isn't drinking enough.

          The vets can also teach you how to give subq fluids if he needs that.
          dehyration can be fixed. But first you need to find out if he is
          deydrated. Can you just stop by a local vet and have the vet tech
          check for you?
          Lynna

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
          > here are the numbers in micromoles and millimoles....that's what
          they use in
          > jamaica:
          >
          > potassium 5.2
          > sodium 167 (normal is 145-160)is also slightly above normal
          > creatinine 174 (normal is 44.2-106) so this is very high....
          > bun 8
          > chlolride 118
          > bicarbonate 19
          > total protein 93
          > albumnin 39
          > globulin 54
          >

          > can anyone tell me how to get him hydrated if he is
          dehydrated????what can i
          > do???? and it's been so hot here lately that i get dehyddrated
          myself...what
          > can i do to help him??? pls tell me someone..........

        • the chunns
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2001
            What a good Mom you are,Linda!

            pat

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2001
              Hey - you are doing GREAT! That's good. I don't know anything about
              giving the rehyration stuff to a cat - but certainly water is great
              stuff. The stuff that life is made from that's for sure! You are doing
              good. Hang in there

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2001
                His sodium level is at the high end of normal I believe. I wouldn't
                worry about it. Phillip had high sodium levels for 6 years while in
                actual chonic renal disease. Also if he had just eaten that can impact
                some of these values a little bit too. Or if he was a bit dehyrated
                when they took the blood..lots of things.
                Lynna