Commercial Pet food (was KMR products not on recall per company)

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 10:08 AM
      Just want to mention that from what I have read, "US
      supplier" or "US sourced" doesn't really mean
      anything. The two companies currently in question for
      reselling product purchased from China are US
      suppliers. A company could say that their ingredient
      was "sourced" in the US when purchased from a US
      supplier. Furthermore, just because the ingredient
      didn't come from one of the two US companies currently
      being investigated, it doesn't mean that other
      suppliers aren't also importing adulterated
      ingredients from China, India, countries of the former
      Soviet Union or other places where oversight might be
      lacking or corruption is prevalent.

      I think the important information to have is the
      country of origin of a particular ingredient.
      However, that information may be something that the
      pet food distributors who have given up manufacturing
      control of their product to a contractor may not have
      ready access to.

      Perhaps most important question has become whether or
      not a companies products are being routinely tested
      for melamine and melamine related compounds such as
      cyanuric acid and if not, why not, and when will they
      start? Tests for quality control could be anything --
      it could be a "taste" test, it could be a
      protein/fat/mineral contetn test, it could test for E.
      coli, Salmonella, and aflatoxin. It is unlikely that
      it would be a test for melamine unless it is a test
      that was just recently instituted.

      Best,

      Nala

      http://mail.yahoo.com