Re: [FH] Re: Can I suggest another food brand to consider? Merrick

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Barbara,

      In a message dated 5/1/07 8:16:39 PM, bjk5377@... writes:

      > The more I read about appropriate foods, the more confused I am....

      Can you specify what you're confused about? The foods that are appropriate
      for cats are those that come closest to meeting the nutritional needs of cats
      and that resemble the nutritional profile of typical prey animals, with animal
      proteins and fats and little to no plant carbohydrate.

      > joined this list in the midst of the Menu foods recall so that is a huge
      > factor...but, what's right for a kitty w/ cardiomyopathy?

      The same foods that are right for cats without cardiomyopathy.

      >   What's right for
      > an 18mo w/ weight problems?

      The same foods that are right for cats without weight problems, but with an
      eye toward watching the calorie intake along with the nutrients.

      >   What's right for a 3yo healthy female?

      See above.

      Many of the "special" products are about marketing, not nutrition. And they
      have also by and large been developed to undo damage caused by
      species-inappropriate products. There is almost never a reason to feed a "special" diet, many
      of the "special" foods are of very poor nutritional quality and cause more
      problems than they resolve, and many health problems can be resolved or
      significantly diminished simply by feeding the food that cats have evolved to eat:
      animal proteins and fats.

      >   I think
      > my vet is blinded by Hill's Pet Products marketing.

      Maybe he is. But you don't have to be. And you are the cat's caregiver.

      > ..however, there are so
      > many possibilities and points of view about food that I have no idea what to
      > do...
      >
      > There are a lot of possibilities among products, but most of them are not
      appropriate for cats. There are many points of view, but only one matters: what
      foods meet the nutritional needs of cats? // Rosemary