Re: Can I suggest another food brand to consider? Merrick

  • timbysmommy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      I also have recently discovered Merrick. The cats love it and it seems
      to be pretty ok as far as ingredients go. I also found it at a place
      that tends to sell premium brands.

      Linda and Li Li

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "caseys009"
      caseys.gloucester@...> wrote:I would like to let folks know about
      > another brand that I have found at my local pet store (they sell
      only highest premium brands) > it's called Merrick. It is a younger,
      family owned company. They sell both dog and cat food.
      > They also offer free shipping in the US. Here is the website:
      >
      > http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
      > Tracy and Cho-Cho San (HCM since 1995)
    • Barbara Kraus
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        The more I read about appropriate foods, the more confused I am.... I
        joined this list in the midst of the Menu foods recall so that is a huge
        factor...but, what's right for a kitty w/ cardiomyopathy? What's right for
        an 18mo w/ weight problems? What's right for a 3yo healthy female? I think
        my vet is blinded by Hill's Pet Products marketing...however, there are so
        many possibilities and points of view about food that I have no idea what to
        do...

        Best,

        Barbara

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          Hi Barbara,

          In a message dated 5/1/07 8:16:39 PM, bjk5377@... writes:

          > The more I read about appropriate foods, the more confused I am....

          Can you specify what you're confused about? The foods that are appropriate
          for cats are those that come closest to meeting the nutritional needs of cats
          and that resemble the nutritional profile of typical prey animals, with animal
          proteins and fats and little to no plant carbohydrate.

          > joined this list in the midst of the Menu foods recall so that is a huge
          > factor...but, what's right for a kitty w/ cardiomyopathy?

          The same foods that are right for cats without cardiomyopathy.

          >   What's right for
          > an 18mo w/ weight problems?

          The same foods that are right for cats without weight problems, but with an
          eye toward watching the calorie intake along with the nutrients.

          >   What's right for a 3yo healthy female?

          See above.

          Many of the "special" products are about marketing, not nutrition. And they
          have also by and large been developed to undo damage caused by
          species-inappropriate products. There is almost never a reason to feed a "special" diet, many
          of the "special" foods are of very poor nutritional quality and cause more
          problems than they resolve, and many health problems can be resolved or
          significantly diminished simply by feeding the food that cats have evolved to eat:
          animal proteins and fats.

          >   I think
          > my vet is blinded by Hill's Pet Products marketing.

          Maybe he is. But you don't have to be. And you are the cat's caregiver.

          > ..however, there are so
          > many possibilities and points of view about food that I have no idea what to
          > do...
          >
          > There are a lot of possibilities among products, but most of them are not
          appropriate for cats. There are many points of view, but only one matters: what
          foods meet the nutritional needs of cats? // Rosemary