Re: [FH] Wellness, Felidae or EVO????????

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Amanda,

      In a message dated 5/1/07 4:43:40 PM, justinamanda@... writes:

      > It
      > is not as easy for me to rotate Griffin's food choices because of his
      > super sensitive digestive system.

      If he has an extra-sensitive digestive system, then introducing new foods
      very slowly becomes important. Even at that, there are some cats who cannot
      tolerate a change of ingredients (for various reasons) and do better sticking with
      few protein sources.

      > I keep hearing that a grain free diet is so
      > important

      Grain contains a lot of carbohydrate, which is a risk for various health
      problems. Grain proteins are also a risk factor for "allergic" reactions. So grain
      is one ingredient to try to avoid or limit.

      > I think I am set on the Wellness,
      > only to hear that it is made by Menu and to also hear of their
      > continual evasiveness.

      Well, a lot of companies have acted very badly in response to the recall. And
      companies that did behave responsibly, such as Natural Balance, also have
      contaminated food. So corporate behavior is one factor to incl in our decisions
      about food...but only you can decide how much it influences your choice in
      relation to other factors.

      A lot of foods are/were made by Menu. So far, the recall is focused on grain
      contamination. If the food doesn't contain grain, is the food safe? Even if
      the label says it doesn't contain grain, do we know there is no grain in it? And
      even if the food is not made by Menu, do we know it's safe? Natural Balance
      venison and pea was a grainfree food not made by Menu that turned out to be
      contaminated.

      > And, then I steer toward Felidae and that
      > sounds great. And, I am told that it is a great balanced food for an
      > indoor cat. However it is not a grain free diet.

      No, it isn't. But you need to weigh which factors are important to you. If
      you cannot tolerate anything made by Menu and like the ingredients in Felidae,
      then see if it's right for your cat. I think Felidae is an ok food for one that
      contains grains, but I generally rank grainfree foods higher than those with
      grain.

      > So, then I inquire
      > about the EVO, and the holistic cat food store owner tells me that it
      > is also a great diet.

      I'm afraid I don't agree with the store owner on that. I don't think a
      complex formula with a lot of plant material, incl high-carbohydrate potatoes and
      apples, is great for cats. And I also don't think a food with 440mg phosphorus
      per 100 calories is great for cats. An average 10 lb cat eating 200 calories of
      EVO is getting 880 mg of phosphorus daily, about 2.5x the general
      recommendation for that weight. I think a more reasonable phosphorus content is about
      200mg/100 calories.

      > But, it is really high in protein and more fat
      > content than the others, more like a raw diet.

      That's what Innova's marketing dept wants you to believe, but it's not true.
      EVO canned contains 37% calories from protein and 60% from fat. You can find a
      number of other canned foods with the same or higher values in those
      nutrients. Eg ProPlan canned Turkey has 55% from protein, Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken
      Feast has 44%, Nutro Gourmet Seafood has 41%; Fancy Feast Beef & Chicken has
      62% calories from fat, Max Cat Chicken and Lamb has 60%, Nature's Variety Rabbit
      has 63%.

      The only correlation between a "raw diet" and EVO exists in the company's
      mind.

      > But, I think I remember the vet cardiologist
      > saying to be careful with too much protein and/or fat in a heart
      > kitties diet.

      All cats, with very few exceptions, need the same nutrition: a high-quality,
      well-balanced, low-carbohydrate, moisture-rich, meat-based diet. No cat should
      get "too much" protein or fat. The closer the product comes to the
      nutritional profile of a typical prey animal, the better.

      > Is it ok that it is not a grain free food?

      That would depend on whether you want grains in the cat's food or not.

      There are grainfree foods not made by Menu, incl By Nature Organics and
      Evanger's Organic Turkey. // Rosemary

    • Sara
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2007
        Hi Amanda - I struggled with the same thing. My cats LOVE Felidae canned and although the rice is a downside, I like the other ingredients and its all human grade stuff, plus no association with Menu. I bought a can of Wellness chicken and they loved that too but thats when the recall happened and all this crap with Menu.

        Last night I took a look at the ingredients for Evo. I'm not impressed. There arent any different flavors, its like they mushed everything into 1 formula. I dont like all the fish ingredients because I've also got a FLUTD boy and none of that would be good for him. Seaweed, Apples, Salt? Not for a heart kitty or FLUTD kitty IMO.

        I would like to switch to Wellness grainfree someday, but until this recall gets more settled, we're sticking with Felidae canned Chicken and Rice. They've been on it since January and I'm (and kitties!) really happy with it.