Re: [FH] Wellness, Felidae or EVO????????

  • mfortner@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2007
      -------------- Original message from "jamander33" <justinamanda@...>:
      So, then I inquire
      > about the EVO, and the holistic cat food store owner tells me that it
      > is also a great diet. But, it is really high in protein and more fat
      > content than the others, more like a raw diet. Without talking to my
      > vet, I am not sure. But, I think I remember the vet cardiologist
      > saying to be careful with too much protein and/or fat in a heart
      > kitties diet. Am I understanding that correctly? I know there are
      > members here that use the Felidae. It sounds like that may be the best
      > one right now. Is it ok that it is not a grain free food? Would the
      > EVO be too protein rich for a heart kitty? HELP!!! Amanda and Griffin

      Wellness and EVO (both grain free) are both high in protein...when you take the grain and carbs out of the food and add more meat and veggie based ingredients, that is the result. Spice's cardiologist has not warned against a protein-rich diet for him because his kidney values remain normal. He takes low dose lasix (every other day), Enalapril, and Atenolol. And since Spice's weight is within normal range, she is not concerned about the fat content.

      But I have a recent rescue cat (Sammy) whose kidney values are creeping up to the point that she has to be on a diet that is low in protein and phosphorous - so she can't eat either Wellness or EVO...or a lot of other foods either! And there is no such thing as a grain-free kidney diet. Believe me, I have searched!

      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, Callie. and Sammy
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar
      Kitties at <http://new.photos.yahoo.com/owkitty/albums/>

    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Amanda,

        In a message dated 5/1/07 4:43:40 PM, justinamanda@... writes:

        > It
        > is not as easy for me to rotate Griffin's food choices because of his
        > super sensitive digestive system.

        If he has an extra-sensitive digestive system, then introducing new foods
        very slowly becomes important. Even at that, there are some cats who cannot
        tolerate a change of ingredients (for various reasons) and do better sticking with
        few protein sources.

        > I keep hearing that a grain free diet is so
        > important

        Grain contains a lot of carbohydrate, which is a risk for various health
        problems. Grain proteins are also a risk factor for "allergic" reactions. So grain
        is one ingredient to try to avoid or limit.

        > I think I am set on the Wellness,
        > only to hear that it is made by Menu and to also hear of their
        > continual evasiveness.

        Well, a lot of companies have acted very badly in response to the recall. And
        companies that did behave responsibly, such as Natural Balance, also have
        contaminated food. So corporate behavior is one factor to incl in our decisions
        about food...but only you can decide how much it influences your choice in
        relation to other factors.

        A lot of foods are/were made by Menu. So far, the recall is focused on grain
        contamination. If the food doesn't contain grain, is the food safe? Even if
        the label says it doesn't contain grain, do we know there is no grain in it? And
        even if the food is not made by Menu, do we know it's safe? Natural Balance
        venison and pea was a grainfree food not made by Menu that turned out to be
        contaminated.

        > And, then I steer toward Felidae and that
        > sounds great. And, I am told that it is a great balanced food for an
        > indoor cat. However it is not a grain free diet.

        No, it isn't. But you need to weigh which factors are important to you. If
        you cannot tolerate anything made by Menu and like the ingredients in Felidae,
        then see if it's right for your cat. I think Felidae is an ok food for one that
        contains grains, but I generally rank grainfree foods higher than those with
        grain.

        > So, then I inquire
        > about the EVO, and the holistic cat food store owner tells me that it
        > is also a great diet.

        I'm afraid I don't agree with the store owner on that. I don't think a
        complex formula with a lot of plant material, incl high-carbohydrate potatoes and
        apples, is great for cats. And I also don't think a food with 440mg phosphorus
        per 100 calories is great for cats. An average 10 lb cat eating 200 calories of
        EVO is getting 880 mg of phosphorus daily, about 2.5x the general
        recommendation for that weight. I think a more reasonable phosphorus content is about
        200mg/100 calories.

        > But, it is really high in protein and more fat
        > content than the others, more like a raw diet.

        That's what Innova's marketing dept wants you to believe, but it's not true.
        EVO canned contains 37% calories from protein and 60% from fat. You can find a
        number of other canned foods with the same or higher values in those
        nutrients. Eg ProPlan canned Turkey has 55% from protein, Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken
        Feast has 44%, Nutro Gourmet Seafood has 41%; Fancy Feast Beef & Chicken has
        62% calories from fat, Max Cat Chicken and Lamb has 60%, Nature's Variety Rabbit
        has 63%.

        The only correlation between a "raw diet" and EVO exists in the company's
        mind.

        > But, I think I remember the vet cardiologist
        > saying to be careful with too much protein and/or fat in a heart
        > kitties diet.

        All cats, with very few exceptions, need the same nutrition: a high-quality,
        well-balanced, low-carbohydrate, moisture-rich, meat-based diet. No cat should
        get "too much" protein or fat. The closer the product comes to the
        nutritional profile of a typical prey animal, the better.

        > Is it ok that it is not a grain free food?

        That would depend on whether you want grains in the cat's food or not.

        There are grainfree foods not made by Menu, incl By Nature Organics and
        Evanger's Organic Turkey. // Rosemary

      • Sara
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2007
          Hi Amanda - I struggled with the same thing. My cats LOVE Felidae canned and although the rice is a downside, I like the other ingredients and its all human grade stuff, plus no association with Menu. I bought a can of Wellness chicken and they loved that too but thats when the recall happened and all this crap with Menu.

          Last night I took a look at the ingredients for Evo. I'm not impressed. There arent any different flavors, its like they mushed everything into 1 formula. I dont like all the fish ingredients because I've also got a FLUTD boy and none of that would be good for him. Seaweed, Apples, Salt? Not for a heart kitty or FLUTD kitty IMO.

          I would like to switch to Wellness grainfree someday, but until this recall gets more settled, we're sticking with Felidae canned Chicken and Rice. They've been on it since January and I'm (and kitties!) really happy with it.

          Hi all, Oh my goodness I am still questioning which food to choose. It
          is not as easy for me to rotate Griffin's food choices because of his
          super sensitive digestive system. So, I am trying to make a sound
          choice and stick to it. I keep hearing that a grain free diet is so
          important in this day and age, so I think I am set on the Wellness,
          only to hear that it is made by Menu and to also hear of their
          continual evasiveness. And, then I steer toward Felidae and that
          sounds great. And, I am told that it is a great balanced food for an
          indoor cat. However it is not a grain free diet. So, then I inquire
          about the EVO, and the holistic cat food store owner tells me that it
          is also a great diet. But, it is really high in protein and more fat
          content than the others, more like a raw diet. Without talking to my
          vet, I am not sure. But, I think I remember the vet cardiologist
          saying to be careful with too much protein and/or fat in a heart
          kitties diet. Am I understanding that correctly? I know there are
          members here that use the Felidae. It sounds like that may be the best
          one right now. Is it ok that it is not a grain free food? Would the
          EVO be too protein rich for a heart kitty? HELP!!! Amanda and Griffin

          Yahoo! Groups Links