CATCARE: The Truth (maybe) about Wellness Canned

  • mfortner@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      I finally got a call back from a rep from Wellness just now..as it turns out,
      they do use both Menu Foods (but not the plants where the recalls occurred) and
      ANI to manufacture Wellness canned cat food.

      When I tried to pin him down on which products were made at each location, he
      hemmed and hawed and finally asked me to get some Wellness cans I had in the
      house and read him the information on the bottom of the cans.

      I read him the infomation on two different 5.5 oz cans of Turkey & Salmon grain
      free and 2 different 3 oz. cans of the same flavor. Some of them were made at
      Menu Foods and some were made at ANI. So there is no logic to where their
      grain-free food is made -one case of grain free could be made by Menu Foods and
      another case of grain free by ANI.

      So the information that the grain-free foods are NOT made at Menu Foods is
      incorrect. They are made at both plants.

      When I suggested to him that OMH/Wellness ought to be more forthcoming on their
      web site with this information as many people were asking this same question, he
      responded that what he told me about where the canned cat food was made was
      "proprietary" and could not be disclosed publicly due to contracts with their
      manufcturers. Sounds like one of their attorneys wrote that line for him!

      I suggested that he take a look at what Natura had disclosed on their web site
      about where there canned
      food is made and let the powers that be at OMH/Wellness know that their major
      competitor in the grain-free canned sector didn't have any trouble disclosing
      exactly WHERE their food was made!

      Sheesh...I hate that kind of CYA behavior!! If for no other reason than that, I
      am switching to EVO canned!

      I sort of felt sorry for the guy...I think he isn't used to speaking with an
      "informed customer." He kept trying to give me the stock marketing spiel and I
      wouldn't let him. :-))

      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle (FIV+), Callie. and Sammy
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar
      Kitties at <http://new.photos.yahoo.com/owkitty/albums/>