Spironolactone and the Heart

  • Penny Branham
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Group: I am so glad the vets are starting to prescribe spironolactone as a diuretic for our kitties. I have been on that myself. I almost had a heart attack on another diuretic - most of them flush potassium out of your system, and my doctor was not checking my potassium level. Potassium regulates our heartbeats. Too much or too little and we can end up dead. I was attended by a wonderful physician while in the cardiac unit myself who put me on spironolactone. It is heart friendly and does not have such a negative effect on the potassium level.

      Many of you already know this, but for those of you who don't, this knowledge can be a valuable tool in the care of our kitties. The vets know a lot, but I have found they don't always know everything. And it helps if we ourselves understand the whys and hows. It helps us maintain that important balance if we are using the hydration and diuretics for a heart kitty.

      My Snowball has crossed over, but his sister Ghost Ghost will be my next patient. She has not reached the need for medication yet, but will go in for an xray and some blood tests soon. She has asthma and allergies and symtoms of a slowing heart.

      God bless to all. And your precious patients.

      Penny and Angel Snowball.

      Penny L. Branham
      Allied Home Mortgage Capital Corporation
      973 High Street
      Worthington, Ohio 43085
      PH 614-880-4200
      FX 614-880-4204