Re: [FH] OT: Feline CRF lists

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      I disagree, sub q's not only help with dehydration, but it also works as a form of dialysis keeping the toxins from building up in the blood... its extremely critical in keeping the BUN in check - without them one would be risking a crf crash...thats why I keep them up everyday with my 15 yr old CRF dog...I never want to deal with another crash if I can help it, another 3 day hospital stay for an IV flush....it was a nightmare. I believe he's now still thriving 1 year post-failure because of them and the holistic treatments. Not worth waiting for the crash if it can be prevented.

      I belong to an awesome CRF group, but its for dogs, they have great holistic advice. I now treat myself holistically, my cats too!

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Sara...can you tell me more about your crf regime for your cats. Pum has
        started his inevitable kidney decline after years and years of heart meds.

        i would really appreciate any info you would like to share.

        Thx.

        Linda and Pumpkin

        _____

        I disagree, sub q's not only help with dehydration, but it also works as a
        form of dialysis keeping the toxins from building up in the blood... its
        extremely critical in keeping the BUN in check - without them one would be
        risking a crf crash...thats why I keep them up everyday with my 15 yr old
        CRF dog...I never want to deal with another crash if I can help it, another
        3 day hospital stay for an IV flush....it was a nightmare. I believe he's
        now still thriving 1 year post-failure because of them and the holistic
        treatments. Not worth waiting for the crash if it can be prevented.

        I belong to an awesome CRF group, but its for dogs, they have great holistic
        advice. I now treat myself holistically, my cats too!

        yahoo.com/group/K9KidneyDiet/

        > There are some CRF lists in Yahoo but there's one really big one. I don't
        > know how well any are aligned with holisted care but there is also
        > WholeCat
        > Health. That group was created by our own Rosemary and definitely leans
        > toward realistic and holistic care - not some crappy food a vet wants to
        > sell to make $$$

        groups.yahoo.com/group/WholeCatHealth/

        will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@
        <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          If your pet has had high numbers in the past which were lowered by fluids, of course the fluids should be continued to keep the numbers down. However, for cats who have mild CRF, such as Creat in the 2's/low 3's, and Bun just slightly elevated (and have never had high numbers), fluids are not necessary, and can overwork the kidneys.

          Linda

          I disagree, sub q's not only help with dehydration, but it also works as a form of dialysis keeping the toxins from building up in the blood... its extremely critical in keeping the BUN in check - without them one would be risking a crf crash...thats why I keep them up everyday with my 15 yr old CRF dog...I never want to deal with another crash if I can help it, another 3 day hospital stay for an IV flush....it was a nightmare. I believe he's now still thriving 1 year post-failure because of them and the holistic treatments. Not worth waiting for the crash if it can be prevented.

          I belong to an awesome CRF group, but its for dogs, they have great holistic advice. I now treat myself holistically, my cats too!

          > There are some CRF lists in Yahoo but there's one really big one. I don't
          > know how well any are aligned with holisted care but there is also
          > WholeCat
          > Health. That group was created by our own Rosemary and definitely leans
          > toward realistic and holistic care - not some crappy food a vet wants to
          > sell to make $$$

          > There's also Holisticat which was formerly a Yahoo group - now at
          > http://www.holisticat.com/forum/
          >

          > Sue & Angel Pepper

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sara
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            Hi Linda - I'm hesitant to give any advice for Kidney + heart issues, I'm dealing with them separately, CRF in my dog, and HCM in my cat, but combined both together is a very different situation. I've always heart that heart trumps the kidneys, so #1 focus is usually on the heart.

            There are some on here that are dealing with both. Its a tough dance, with CRF you need to push fluids, but have to be careful if you are dealing with fluid buildup on the heart...

            There are supplements that I buy in bulk for both my CRF and HCM kids - CoQ10, Omega 3 fish oil, Vit E and Taurine.

            My CRF dog is also on Azodyl, Epakitin and Multi B.

            Hopefully others can give you better info on balancing them together!

            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2007
              Sara, I don't know much about CRF dogs, but I know that Epakitin is not the
              best phosphorus binder (it's about 90% sugar), plus it can raise calcium
              levels. If your dog has high phosphorus, consider using aluminum
              hydroxide.

              Linda

              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                Yeah, we've been monitoring his phos count and luckily its been in the normal range since he crashed which is why we were sticking with Epakitin, plus he had low serum calcium and the extra was good for him...but I've also got powdered alum hydroxide on hand too if/when it ever creeps up. Actually just went for tests last night, hopefully we get good results back again!