Re: [FH] OMH - Wellness Grainless Foods

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
      They are made at Menu, just not at the Emporia plant - http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/aboutus_philosophy.html

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: "mfortner@..." <mfortner@...>
      To: FIVCats2 <FIVCats2@yahoogroups.com>; FIVCats <FIVCats@yahoogroups.com>; Feline Heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 11:36:09 AM
      Subject: [FH] OMH - Wellness Grainless Foods

      Somebody on another list finally got an answer from them. The grainless foods are not made in a Menu Foods plant.

      --
      Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle (FIV), Callie. and Sammy
      Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
        -------------- Original message from Sara <sara5266@...>: --------------
        > They are made at Menu, just not at the Emporia plant -
        > http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/aboutus_philosophy.html

        I may be missing something, but I don't see anything on this site that says their grainless foods are made at another Menu Foods plant...could you point me to the exact text on the site that states that their grainless foods are made by Menu Foods at another plant besides the Emporia plant? This is the only reference I see and it is from April 4th -" We do not use wheat gluten in our products, and none of our products are made in the Menu Foods Emporia plant that is the main focus of the product recall."

        Subsequent to that, someone else had posted a bulletin from Wellness that said "...some of our canned cat food is made by Menu Foods." Sorry...I can't find the link that was posted. So several of us have been trying to find out WHICH of their canned cat foods is made by Menu Foods.

        My friend who posted this on another list spoke directly to a Customer Service rep at OMH who told her what I quoted in my post - the their grainless food was not made by Menu Foods -so if the CSR was incorrect, I'd like to let her so she can call back and try to get a straight answer from them.

        Thanks,

        --
        Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, Callie. and Sammy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Thats why they specified the Emporia plant. I know I read it on their site somewhere, they might have removed it. I've also read from numerous boards inlcuding Holisticat that Wellness is made at Menu, though it may not be at the poisoned plant. Its a big debate on alot of other boards whether or not to stick with it, since its made at Menu and I'm sure Wellness is trying to downplay the fact that they use them, regardless of how many types of their canned food is made there. I know some who are staying with it and they are still fine, and others who are ditching because of the association with Menu, its all personal choice.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2007
            -------------- Original message from Sara <sara5266@...>: --------------
            >Thats why they specified the Emporia plant. I know I read it on their site >somewhere, they might have removed it. I've also read from numerous boards >inlcuding Holisticat that Wellness is made at Menu, though it may not be at the >poisoned plant. Its a big debate on alot of other boards whether or not to stick >with it, since its made at Menu and I'm sure Wellness is trying to downplay the >fact that they use them, regardless of how many types of their canned food is made >there. I know some who are staying with it and they are still fine, and others >who are ditching because of the association with Menu, its all personal choice.

            I am switching after I read the information below yesterday - ANI is worse than Menu! THey are the ones that were adding rice protein to canned food without authorization (supposedly) by the companies for whom they were making their food!

            I'm going to try EVO canned food - they are made by Menu also but, based on the message on their web site <http://www.evopet.com/about-natura/news.asp?id=16>, at least they are telling the truth voluntarily without having it dragged from them by consumers!

            <http://www.itchmo.com/read/mulligan-stew-and-canine-caviar-dog-food-recalled_20070427#comments>

            tinydogsrule Says:
            April 27th, 2007 at 9:36 pm
            blkcatgal~

            I agree about locating the ANI products, especially after talking with them.

            I spoke with both Wellness AND ANI today and here are the results:

            WELLNESS: While slow to disclose, Wellness did say after I asked the same, direct querstion over nd over and over that that they use do use both ANI and Menu for their canned foods, however, the FDA 'inspected the plant' and has not placed their canned foods on the recall list.

            ANI: They cannot say for a fact that they will not continue to get product from China ( altho they are not at the time being) nor are they planning to test for melanine unless the FDA MAKES IT A REQUIREMENT TO DO SO ( emphasis mine).

            Company Information (Address and Contact)

            American Nutrition Inc.
            735 N. Park St. Unit E
            Castle Rock, CO. 80109

            Toll Free: 800-454-3724