Can I suggest another food brand to consider? Merrick

  • caseys009
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
      I think it takes a bit of faith and trust in the good will of others when a company tells you that
      they are not a part of the recall in any way. This information I am learning on the board
      about Wellness is concerning, and I may stop using it. I would like to let folks know about
      another brand that I have found at my local pet store (they sell only highest premium brands)
      it's called Merrick. It is a younger, family owned company. They sell both dog and cat food.
      They also offer free shipping in the US. Here is the website:

      http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

      Again, I am taking a leap of faith that this brand is safe from the ugly clutches of the recall.
      Just thought I would share.

      Tracy and Cho-Cho San (HCM since 1995)
    • fireflyeternal
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
        I like Merrick. We feed our dog Merrick and as far as I know-- there
        have been no problems with this food. The ingredients are very good
        as well-- they even use organic chicken when making
        their "Turducken" flavor!

        I think that it is all American made as well-- though I would have
        to look into it a bit more to be sure.I have heard nothing bad about
        this brand and my perusal of the ingredients has also calmed my
        concerns about it. Jill and Angel Rio

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "caseys009"
        <caseys.gloucester@...> wrote:

        > I think it takes a bit of faith and trust in the good will of
        others when a company tells you that
        > they are not a part of the recall in any way. This information I
        am learning on the board
        > about Wellness is concerning, and I may stop using it. I would
        like to let folks know about
        > another brand that I have found at my local pet store (they sell
        only highest premium brands)
        > it's called Merrick. It is a younger, family owned company. They
        sell both dog and cat food.
        > They also offer free shipping in the US. Here is the website:
        >
        > http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
        >
        > Again, I am taking a leap of faith that this brand is safe from
        the ugly clutches of the recall.
        > Just thought I would share.
        >
        > Tracy and Cho-Cho San (HCM since 1995)

      • timbysmommy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 4:48 PM
          I also have recently discovered Merrick. The cats love it and it seems
          to be pretty ok as far as ingredients go. I also found it at a place
          that tends to sell premium brands.

          Linda and Li Li

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "caseys009"
          caseys.gloucester@...> wrote:I would like to let folks know about
          > another brand that I have found at my local pet store (they sell
          only highest premium brands) > it's called Merrick. It is a younger,
          family owned company. They sell both dog and cat food.
          > They also offer free shipping in the US. Here is the website:
          >
          > http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
          > Tracy and Cho-Cho San (HCM since 1995)
        • Barbara Kraus
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 5:15 PM
            The more I read about appropriate foods, the more confused I am.... I
            joined this list in the midst of the Menu foods recall so that is a huge
            factor...but, what's right for a kitty w/ cardiomyopathy? What's right for
            an 18mo w/ weight problems? What's right for a 3yo healthy female? I think
            my vet is blinded by Hill's Pet Products marketing...however, there are so
            many possibilities and points of view about food that I have no idea what to
            do...

            Best,

            Barbara

          • savionna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1 8:22 PM
              Hi Barbara,

              In a message dated 5/1/07 8:16:39 PM, bjk5377@... writes:

              > The more I read about appropriate foods, the more confused I am....

              Can you specify what you're confused about? The foods that are appropriate
              for cats are those that come closest to meeting the nutritional needs of cats
              and that resemble the nutritional profile of typical prey animals, with animal
              proteins and fats and little to no plant carbohydrate.

              > joined this list in the midst of the Menu foods recall so that is a huge
              > factor...but, what's right for a kitty w/ cardiomyopathy?

              The same foods that are right for cats without cardiomyopathy.

              >   What's right for
              > an 18mo w/ weight problems?

              The same foods that are right for cats without weight problems, but with an
              eye toward watching the calorie intake along with the nutrients.

              >   What's right for a 3yo healthy female?

              See above.

              Many of the "special" products are about marketing, not nutrition. And they
              have also by and large been developed to undo damage caused by
              species-inappropriate products. There is almost never a reason to feed a "special" diet, many
              of the "special" foods are of very poor nutritional quality and cause more
              problems than they resolve, and many health problems can be resolved or
              significantly diminished simply by feeding the food that cats have evolved to eat:
              animal proteins and fats.

              >   I think
              > my vet is blinded by Hill's Pet Products marketing.

              Maybe he is. But you don't have to be. And you are the cat's caregiver.

              > ..however, there are so
              > many possibilities and points of view about food that I have no idea what to
              > do...
              >
              > There are a lot of possibilities among products, but most of them are not
              appropriate for cats. There are many points of view, but only one matters: what
              foods meet the nutritional needs of cats? // Rosemary