Boo Boo 5-6 yrs old heart&kidney: I'm forwarding an email answeres from my Vet

  • earina613@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      I email my vet a few Qs, please help me understand how dangerouse this is to
      my kitty!!!!!!!!!!!
      I need help!!!!!!
      I am tormented. Life is sooooo unfair:( Help me please!:(
      Also please tell me if I should stick with this Vet or should I find another
      ?? Please help me I feel so miserable. MY life has been a living nightmare.
      I don't know how to accept it, back in my mind I am still hoping for this
      diagnoses to be a mistake. I try to be optimistic , but it is soooooo
      painful for me. I am a full time college student and work part time, I feel
      sooooo helpless. I am about 2/3 weeks away from my finals but I can't
      concentrate. I don't want to do do anything, go anywhere all I want to do is
      find anything to make her life long, beautiful and comfortable! My mind is
      killing me. All I do is search, search, search for some kind of cure. Only
      if there was magic. My BOo BOO is so important to me, I would give her my
      kidney and heart if it was possible! Please help me!

      My Questions adn Vet's answers:

      why are her blood and urine results more accurate than the sonogram? the
      urinalysis did not show any inflammatory cells, nor did we grow any
      bacteria,
      nor did she have an elevation in her white blood cell count- these all
      speak
      against active ongoing infection. the ultrasound showed changes in the
      size
      and structure of the kidneys that is consistent with infection, infection
      that was most likely the inciting cause but may have happened a long time
      ago.
      why does she have a kidney problem? the most likely cause is previous
      infection. other causes are kidney stones, renal dysplasia, infarcts,
      toxins,
      drugs, concurrent illness, etc....
      was it neccessary to do a sonogram of the kidneys? Absolutely.
      ultrasonography can aid us in determining the cause of kidney disease,
      there
      are multiple causes and some are treatable- if we would have seen stones
      within the renal pelvis we may have reccommended surgery to prevent ongoing
      damage.
      how bad is it? boo boo has moderate to severe kidney disease. this
      means
      that at least 70% of the function of the kidneys is gone. that being said
      she may do well for anywhere from weeks to months to years. there is no way
      to know.
      how accurate is it that she has a problem? unfortunately, very
      accurate.
      please tell me what i should do for her.
      atenolol 6.25mg twice daily- slows the heart rate and should improve
      performance of the heart.
      alternagel 1 ml twice daily with food orally ( a substitute for
      amphogel- lowers phosphorus)
      pepcid a/c 1/8-1/4 tablet once daily- antacid
      feed whatever she will eat. i would start with fancy feast,
      friskies, 9
      lives, baby food, turkey, etc..
      how is her heart from last week? the rating scheme is based on the
      loudness of the heart murmur - if barely audible they get a 1, likewise if
      you can feel the murmur with your hand they get a 6. the rating scheme
      rates
      the murmur, which is turbulent blood flow through a leaky heart valve. the
      grade of murmur does not neccessarily relate to the severity of heart
      disease. boo boo only has a 3/6 heart murmur, yet has severe heart
      disease.
      all of the questions about amphogel, nephrox, alternagel, - these are all
      similar and have similar actions and dosages.
      do i have to give her fluids? unfortunately we think fluids will
      accelerate the heart disease.
      appetite stimulants? yes, but they typically are not successful in
      treating renal failure
      meds for heart and kidneys and interferance? good question, no.
      how long have most of your crf patients survived and do they suffer?
      once diagnosed they can survive for anywhere from days to years, each case
      is
      different. complications that arise include lethargy, inappetance, weight
      loss, vomiting, dehydration, etc....
      long life for boo boo? the workup so far indicates boo boo has two
      severe clinical problems that antagonize each other, to treat the kidneys
      we
      would like them to be well hydrated and to treat the heart we would like
      them
      to be mildly dehydrated. both disease processes will progress and boo boo
      may not do well long term. in the short term however, there is no way to
      know how long booboo will do.
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2000

        Irina,

        My wife & I went through a similar situation last year, when our 16 year old
        boy, Tabby, was diagnosed with incurable cancer. I don't know you, but I do
        know just how you are feeling & I wish there were something I could do to
        make everything all right for you. I can well remember the pain & despair.
        But I also remember all of the good times we had with Tabby & how glad were
        to be with him & give him the love & attention he deserved during his final
        times.

        As to whether you should change vets, only you can answer that question,
        since I don't know your vet. From looking at his answers to your questions,
        however, he appears to be giving you very straightforward information.

        If you have only had one opinion from a vet, it might be worth taking the
        info to another vet to see what he/she says.

        > Please help me I feel so miserable. MY life has been a living nightmare.
        > I don't know how to accept it, back in my mind I am still hoping for this
        > diagnoses to be a mistake. I try to be optimistic , but it is soooooo
        > painful for me. I am a full time college student and work part
        > time, I feel sooooo helpless. I am about 2/3 weeks away from my finals
        but I
        > can't concentrate. I don't want to do do anything, go anywhere all I
        > want to do is find anything to make her life long, beautiful and
        comfortable!
        > My mind is killing me. All I do is search, search, search for some kind
        of
        > cure. Only if there was magic. My BOo BOO is so important to me, I would
        > give her my kidney and heart if it was possible! Please help me!

        I wish I had the words that would soothe your pain & cure your cat. When
        Tabby was sick, I prayed that I could take his cancer & that he would live
        on. I know of no magic to make this any easier for you.

        Here's some thoughts:

        1) By all means, find out all you can about Boo Boo's conditions. The more
        you know, the better you can help her, no matter the outcome.
        2) Treasure every moment with her.
        3) Be as strong as you can. Boo Boo neds you right now.
        4) While I'm not an expert on CRF or cardiac problems in cats, I do know
        that their prognosis is extermely variable. I know of cats that have lived
        comfortably for years, with appropriate care.
        5) Don't give up hope.
        6) Stay in contact with others who are in (or have had) similar situations.

        God bless you for loving this girl so much. Boo Boo is always in my prayers
        & thoughts.

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx