Weight Loss?

  • gea@alumni.duke.edu
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
      Hi, everyone.

      I've really been appreciating all the support on this list, especially
      for folks who are grieving right now.

      I took Malcolm to the vet yesterday for a weight check and he seemed
      to be continuing to lose so they tried to get some blood to run tests
      but couldn't because he was so upset.

      Between his diagnosis of HCM in April and mid-June, he lost about 1.5
      lbs. Between then and now he lost only 3 oz. I was surprised that she
      thought this was significant enough to worry about. We're wondering if
      the initial weight loss was just due to his meds and this could be a
      new set-point for him.

      Anyway, I guess she's worried about kidneys, liver, maybe even cancer,
      I don't know. SHe also said HCM itself can cause weight loss through
      metabolic changes (but he is actually eating less...)...

      I'm wondering if he's just eating less because he loves this little
      bit of tuna I've been giving him his meds in twice a day and doesn't
      eat the dry food b/c he's holding out for more tuna.

      So for now I'm going to increase his tuna a little and we'll re-weigh
      & do a blood test in a couple of weeks.

      I know it's crucial to keep his weight up now before he starts
      losing more. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with
      this issue (& if there were other factors involved causing the weight
      loss) & maybe tips for increasing appetite (the kitties, not mine,
      mine is a little too good...) :-)

      Thanks so much & again condolances & prayers to those who have lost
      feline friends recently,

      Gail & Malcolm
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
        i know that there are meds to stimulate the appetite if he really isn't
        eating anything.....has your vet suggested trying any of them....i don't
        waht the side effects might be tho.

        linda

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
          Kira was always a small cat and got down to under 7 pounds when she threw her
          first embolism and was diagnosed with RCM. Over the next two weeks she got
          down to 5.5 pds and was absolutely skeletal. I was desperate to get her
          weight up her so she could recover strength in her legs that I switched her
          to kitten food (of all the ones I tried, she only liked the Purina, which I'm
          sure is loaded with nasty stuff) and a couple of tablespoons of KMG a day, in
          addition to her canned foods (primarily the fancy feast fish varieties that
          are marketed as filets, with whole pieces of fish). Within a couple of
          months she weighed 8.2 but would start to lose weight anytime I took the dry
          kitten food away, and switched her back to her Science Diet. I also added
          oil to her food several times a week (olive, flax, or cod liver) for extra
          calories. Hope that helps.

          Victoria
        • gea@alumni.duke.edu
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
            Yes, Victoria--thanks very much. That's great that you got Kira
            back up to 8 lbs; I'm impressed! Oil seems like a great idea, and the
            kitten food. I'm not too worried yet, just want to begin to do a
            couple of things proactively.

            Gail & Malcolm

            --- In feline-heart@y..., VHess2000@c... wrote:
            > Kira was always a small cat and got down to under 7 pounds when she
            threw her
            > first embolism and was diagnosed with RCM. Over the next two weeks
            she got
            > down to 5.5 pds and was absolutely skeletal. I was desperate to get
            her
            > weight up her so she could recover strength in her legs that I
            switched her
            > to kitten food (of all the ones I tried, she only liked the Purina,
            which I'm
            > sure is loaded with nasty stuff) and a couple of tablespoons of KMG
            a day, in
            > addition to her canned foods (primarily the fancy feast fish
            varieties that
            > are marketed as filets, with whole pieces of fish). Within a couple
            of
            > months she weighed 8.2 but would start to lose weight anytime I took
            the dry
            > kitten food away, and switched her back to her Science Diet. I also
            added
            > oil to her food several times a week (olive, flax, or cod liver) for
            extra
            > calories. Hope that helps.
            >
            > Victoria
          • Lynna
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
              Gail,
              I also used kitten food to entice Sabrina. The other thing I did, was
              to buy the Whiska's foil packet of food, and express out the gravy.
              She would eat that when she wouldn't eat anything else. I figured at
              least she was getting some nutrition..then we went to the store and
              bought fancy feast in every flavor they make and I simply gave her
              something new each day. She at least took a lick or two of whatever it
              was to see if she liked it. We managed to hit big with the beef one
              but I still have to change it all the time.
              Good luck
              Lynna

              --- In feline-heart@y..., gea@a... wrote:
              > Yes, Victoria--thanks very much. That's great that you got Kira
              > back up to 8 lbs; I'm impressed! Oil seems like a great idea, and
              the
              > kitten food. I'm not too worried yet, just want to begin to do a
              > couple of things proactively.
              >
              > Gail & Malcolm
              >

              > --- In feline-heart@y..., VHess2000@c... wrote:
              > > Kira was always a small cat and got down to under 7 pounds when
              she
              > threw her
              > > first embolism and was diagnosed with RCM. Over the next two
              weeks
              > she got
              > > down to 5.5 pds and was absolutely skeletal. I was desperate to
              get
              > her
              > > weight up her so she could recover strength in her legs that I
              > switched her
              > > to kitten food (of all the ones I tried, she only liked the
              Purina,
              > which I'm
              > > sure is loaded with nasty stuff) and a couple of tablespoons of
              KMG
              > a day, in
              > > addition to her canned foods (primarily the fancy feast fish
              > varieties that
              > > are marketed as filets, with whole pieces of fish). Within a
              couple
              > of
              > > months she weighed 8.2 but would start to lose weight anytime I
              took
              > the dry
              > > kitten food away, and switched her back to her Science Diet. I
              also
              > added
              > > oil to her food several times a week (olive, flax, or cod liver)
              for
              > extra
              > > calories. Hope that helps.
              > >
              > > Victoria
            • Lynna
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
                Gail,
                Kitten food. Any food with gravy added. Variety variety variety.
                That's what finally has worked for me. Oh and yes, cats are SMART
                SMART SMART and will hold out for treats instead of meals. I would
                even feed him tuna to jump start him and then mix in some other food
                and dilute the mixture daily till you are back on some semblance of
                cat food.
                Good luck!
                Lynna

                --- In feline-heart@y..., gea@a... wrote:
                > Hi, everyone.
                >
                > I've really been appreciating all the support on this list,
                especially
                > for folks who are grieving right now.
                >
                > I took Malcolm to the vet yesterday for a weight check and he seemed
                > to be continuing to lose so they tried to get some blood to run
                tests
                > but couldn't because he was so upset.
                >
                > Between his diagnosis of HCM in April and mid-June, he lost about
                1.5
                > lbs. Between then and now he lost only 3 oz. I was surprised that
                she
                > thought this was significant enough to worry about. We're wondering
                if
                > the initial weight loss was just due to his meds and this could be a
                > new set-point for him.
                >
                > Anyway, I guess she's worried about kidneys, liver, maybe even
                cancer,
                > I don't know. SHe also said HCM itself can cause weight loss through
                > metabolic changes (but he is actually eating less...)...
                >
                > I'm wondering if he's just eating less because he loves this little
                > bit of tuna I've been giving him his meds in twice a day and doesn't
                > eat the dry food b/c he's holding out for more tuna.
                >
                > So for now I'm going to increase his tuna a little and we'll
                re-weigh
                > & do a blood test in a couple of weeks.
                >
                > I know it's crucial to keep his weight up now before he starts
                > losing more. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with
                > this issue (& if there were other factors involved causing the
                weight
                > loss) & maybe tips for increasing appetite (the kitties, not mine,
                > mine is a little too good...) :-)
                >
                > Thanks so much & again condolances & prayers to those who have lost
                > feline friends recently,
                >

                > Gail & Malcolm
              • Voula Augerinos
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2001
                  Hi Gail,
                  as Lynna said Whiskas in the foil pack with the gravy seems to be
                  enticing. I am sure they must put cat appetite drugs in that food. Pebbles
                  would go wild for it!
                  Love, Voula.

                • gea@alumni.duke.edu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2001
                    Thanks, Voula (and Pebbles); that's great to know. Is that something I
                    might find in a supermarket or would I need to go to a pet store? It
                    scared me last night when Malcolm even turned up his nose at tuna
                    (with his meds in it).

                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                    > Hi Gail, as Lynna said Whiskas in the foil pack with the gravy seems
                    > to be enticing. I am sure they must put cat appetite drugs in that
                    > food. Pebbles would go wild for it!
                    > Love, Voula.

                    Gail & Malcolm
                  • Voula Augerinos
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2001
                      Hi Gail,
                      it's usually in the cat food section of the supermarket. It was the
                      only food Pebbles would eat a little of when she was hospitalised at
                      Christmas, and when she came home she went wild over it. I don't think it's
                      the greatest quality food, but at the time it helped Pebbles a lot, so I
                      gave it to her.
                      Love, Voula.

                      >Thanks, Voula (and Pebbles); that's great to know. Is that something I
                      >might find in a supermarket or would I need to go to a pet store? It
                      >scared me last night when Malcolm even turned up his nose at tuna
                      >(with his meds in it).
                      >
                      >--- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                      >> Hi Gail, as Lynna said Whiskas in the foil pack with the gravy seems
                      >> to be enticing. I am sure they must put cat appetite drugs in that
                      >> food. Pebbles would go wild for it!
                      >> Love, Voula.
                      >
                      >Gail & Malcolm

                    • Lynna
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2001
                        Gail-try and divorce the meds from the food. Don't mess with the food
                        if you are trying to get kitty to eat.

                        Instead, put the meds in the gravy of the whiska's stuff separate.
                        They sell Whiska's at the grocery store. I'm sure it is junk cat food
                        - but hey - I ate tons of McDonalds and pizza and burgers in college
                        and I managed to survive...our vet also told us you can try buying the
                        canned Boston market chicken gravy or beef gravy and work with putting
                        meds in that too. My Philly didn't care for that as much as the
                        Whiskas'
                        Lynna

                      • lclarizia@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                          Hi all,

                          Baby Boy continues to do well ... he's eating, drinking etc. and in general
                          looks good and is acting like his old self. However, it seems like he may have
                          lost some weight -- he feels a bit lighter and looks skinnier. Since he's
                          eating well, and it's not a terribly dramatic loss (if in fact he has lost
                          weight -- we'll know in a few days when we go to the vet), I'm not too concerned.
                          I'm thinking it may be due to the Lasix and water loss ... did any of you see
                          this in your cats?

                          Thanks,

                          Lisa

                        • brinkett
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                            > I'm thinking it may be due to the Lasix and water loss ... did any
                            of you see
                            > this in your cats?

                            It could be that, also your vet might want to check his kidney
                            values. If he's eating well but losing weight, he might be losing
                            protein through the kidneys.

                            Sarah.
                          • Sarah
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
                              My cat, Nigel, did loose water weight (about 1/2 pound) when he
                              started on the Lasix. Though at his last check up, he had gained
                              about 1/4 pound. I did change his diet (after I found out he had
                              HCM), by giving him wet food on a regular basis (to put more
                              moisture in his diet, give him what he likes best, and try to
                              achieve a healthier diet).

                              With the weather being so hot in the Bay Area, he isn't eating as
                              much. Is the normal?

                              SAB (Sarah)

                              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>