Newbie!

  • Shawn
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
      Hi everyone. I was very happy to find this group. My name is Shawn
      and my Lily who is 8, was just diagnosed with a heart murmur at her
      check up. They said it was a 3 of 6. They suggested doing an
      ultrasound with some x-rays and another test but I wanted to do some
      research first. It's nice to be here!
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
        Hi Shawn,

        Welcome to the group, though I'm sorry you had to join us!

        Your vet's suggestion is correct -- Lily should be evaluated by a feline
        cardiologist, and part of that evaluation should be an ultrasound and
        x-rays. Heart murmurs have different causes, and the only way to
        effectively treat whatever's causing it is to know what you're dealing with
        first.

        It sounds like Lily is currently asymptomatic which is good, as there is a
        lot you can do to help her at this early stage. We recommend good vet care,
        and doing whatever you can to support the general health of the cat. That
        includes a high-quality diet and often nutritional supplements. Most of the
        kitties on this list are taking coenzyme q10, and many are also taking
        taurine and l-carnitine.

        We're here to answer any questions or concerns you have. Chances are,
        whatever you come up against one of us has already been through it. So, ask
        away!

        Lisa

        On 4/27/07, Shawn <therisa@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. I was very happy to find this group. My name is Shawn
        > and my Lily who is 8, was just diagnosed with a heart murmur at her
        > check up. They said it was a 3 of 6. They suggested doing an
        > ultrasound with some x-rays and another test but I wanted to do some
        > research first. It's nice to be here!

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
          Welcome Shawn and Lily,

          I'm glad you found us!

          Yes, Lily should have an echo (heart ultrasound), as Lisa said that is the
          truest way to know what you are dealing with.

          Best to you and Lily,
          Candace

          On 4/27/07, Shawn <therisa@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone. I was very happy to find this group. My name is Shawn
          > and my Lily who is 8, was just diagnosed with a heart murmur at her
          > check up. They said it was a 3 of 6. They suggested doing an
          > ultrasound with some x-rays and another test but I wanted to do some
          > research first. It's nice to be here!

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
            Hi Shawn & Lily,

            I agree with the others that the best thing you can do is to have an
            ultrasound of the heart (also known as an echocardiogram or ECG).

            There's a document in the Files section of the Yahoo with questions for your
            cardiologist. That might be a good starting point.

            I can't get to the internet right now but go here
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/ and click on "Files" then scroll
            down. I think it was the 3rd item from the bottom.

            We do recommend a good quality canned food diet. Keep in mind that most
            vets have very little training in that area and most of what they learn
            either comes from the pet food manufacturers or from classes that they
            sponsor.

            Sue & Angel Pepper

            > Hi everyone. I was very happy to find this group. My name is Shawn
            > and my Lily who is 8, was just diagnosed with a heart murmur at her
            > check up. They said it was a 3 of 6. They suggested doing an
            > ultrasound with some x-rays and another test but I wanted to do some
            > research first. It's nice to be here!

          • Leah Ferron
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
              Shawn,

              Welcome to you and Lily. I am sorry to hear about Lily's condition but glad that you found us.

              You have already gotten a bunch of good advice so I just wanted to concur with it all and welcome you both. If you are doing any research online about Lily's condition, you might be scared. Don't be. There are many kitties in this group that have lived long happy lives with murmurs or heart problems. There is no definite with heart kitties.

              Be sure to ask any questions that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is. We are glad you found us.

              Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

            • cutandpastemag
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                It's depressing that I have to join this group under sad circumstances
                especially as it is evident you are all wonderful people. My 7 year
                old cat 'Master Yoda' (wicked name I know) has recently been diagnosed
                with HCM. It only becamse apparent to us that he suffered from this
                disease after he had a blood clot in his rear legs. Luckily, one day
                after the said clot, he recovered from it and is now fully able to use
                his legs. I give him a quarter tab of aspirin every three days (as
                prescribed by my vet) to prevent any further thrombi.

                After an ultrasound, it has transpired that he has an enlarged heart
                and a distended left atrium. I have been also giving him diuretics in
                the form of frusemide as he has fluid buildup in his lungs and
                abdomen. I administer a 1/4 tab of this drug twice a day and I have
                been doing so for the last 4 days. He sometimes wheezes and sighs
                still and I was wondering, how long does the drug need, to come into
                effect and to remove all of the fluid build up in his body? In
                addition, I give my cat a tab of Fortekor every day to improve his
                heart muscle - I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this
                drug and its level of effectiveness.

                My last but probably not final query is, where can I purchase hawthorn
                and coenzymeq10 and taurine(worth a shot) which is suitable for a cat
                to consume? I had a peek on ebay but I don't know if it would be okay
                to give my cat supplements which are only intended for humans. If
                anyone can direct me to a place on the internet where I can purchase
                these supplements, I will be extremely grateful. Please keep in mind
                that I live in the UK but i have no qualms about importing these
                supplements from the USA.

                Thank you so much for reading and helping me out during this tough time.

                Regards,
                Emily
              • Don
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Hi Emily,
                  Our boy Milo was diagnosed with moderate HCM about 7 months ago and I
                  have had him on CoQ10 ever since. I bought mine at the local
                  pharmacy. The human brands are fine, just try and limit the number of
                  additives. I got the 100 mg caplets, then open them and put about
                  10-30 mg on his food every day.
                  Don & Milo

                  On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM, cutandpastemag <Emifinch@...> wrote:
                  > It's depressing that I have to join this group under sad circumstances
                  > especially as it is evident you are all wonderful people. My 7 year
                  > old cat 'Master Yoda' (wicked name I know) has recently been diagnosed
                  > with HCM. It only becamse apparent to us that he suffered from this
                  > disease after he had a blood clot in his rear legs. Luckily, one day
                  > after the said clot, he recovered from it and is now fully able to use
                  > his legs. I give him a quarter tab of aspirin every three days (as
                  > prescribed by my vet) to prevent any further thrombi.
                  >
                  > After an ultrasound, it has transpired that he has an enlarged heart
                  > and a distended left atrium. I have been also giving him diuretics in
                  > the form of frusemide as he has fluid buildup in his lungs and
                  > abdomen. I administer a 1/4 tab of this drug twice a day and I have
                  > been doing so for the last 4 days. He sometimes wheezes and sighs
                  > still and I was wondering, how long does the drug need, to come into
                  > effect and to remove all of the fluid build up in his body? In
                  > addition, I give my cat a tab of Fortekor every day to improve his
                  > heart muscle - I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this
                  > drug and its level of effectiveness.
                  >
                  > My last but probably not final query is, where can I purchase hawthorn
                  > and coenzymeq10 and taurine(worth a shot) which is suitable for a cat
                  > to consume? I had a peek on ebay but I don't know if it would be okay
                  > to give my cat supplements which are only intended for humans. If
                  > anyone can direct me to a place on the internet where I can purchase
                  > these supplements, I will be extremely grateful. Please keep in mind
                  > that I live in the UK but i have no qualms about importing these
                  > supplements from the USA.
                  >
                  > Thank you so much for reading and helping me out during this tough time.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Emily

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Again, the brand does not matter as much as limiting the fillers.
                    Check the ingredient list and pick one that has the least.
                    Don & Milo

                  • elfinmyst@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
                      Hi Emily

                      I`m also in the UK. I`m sorry to hear about Master Yoda (I love the name!!)

                      It sounds as if Yoda is on the right drugs for a start. I found it took
                      about 4 days for the Fortekor to make a difference to energy levels, and the
                      Frucimide usually works quickly. Yoda is on quite a low dose, so may need more at
                      first to decrease the fluid, but your vet can advise you on that. There is
                      also a second diuretic called spironolactone which can increase the efficiency
                      of the Frucimide. My HCM cats have both, but you have to monitor kidney
                      levels.

                      If he still seems wheezy, a vet trip is in order as it sometimes takes a
                      little whilse to get the right doses of drugs.

                      Supplements.. I can help with this one. Cardio-S is a supplement for cats
                      which contains Co Q, Taurine and Carnitine. It is available on prescription only
                      from the vet and costs about £25 for a bottle of 60. It's made by
                      Vetriscience and they have a phone number.

                      01691 610818

                      Your vet needs to order them for you. Alternatively you can import them from
                      America which costs about the same with postage. Do a websearch for
                      cardiostrength as it is called there. It doesn't need a prescription from the states.

                      Let us know how you go on, and please ask all your questions.

                      Lyn :)

                    • Elegantzebra
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
                        Regarding Taurine and CO Q10, 30mg - you can get them at www.iherb.com
                        Buy Now Brand Taurine 500mg - powder capsules - has no taste or smell, you can put it right on their food - open capsule. Same with CoQ10, Twin Labs 30mg, 100 capsules, no taste or smell, just open capsule and put it their food.

                        I have a question too - has anyone used Chinese herbs on their cats with heart issues?