Re: [feline-heart] Widgie's still tired

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2001
      Zellene,

      This may seem like an odd question, but I wonder if she is having an
      autoimmune reaction to something? That happened to my Annie. She also had
      blood clots (her heart wasn't that bad) and she became extremely sluggish.
      Eventually they determined she had an autoimmune disease.

      Laura

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2001
        Just curious, Laura, which autoimmune disease your Annie had? My Jubi has
        FIV but is doing okay. Widgie has been tested for FIV and was negative. Now
        that I read this, FIV is an immune deficiency, not really an autoimmune
        disease. I guess this is a new one on me.

        ps. Just spoke to the vet. He is VERY pleased with her heart rate on the 1/4
        Atenolol. We will do the blood work next week to check potassium, kidneys,
        etc. And check her BP. I think we are both a little concerned with the
        stress of the visit, but hopefully it will be a while before we need to go
        back after this.
      • Laura Penny
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2001
          Good news on the heart rate. My regular vet says that's the best med for
          getting the heart rate under control.

          No one really knew what happened to Annie, but their best guess was some
          sort of autoimmune problem caused her to throw clots until she was extremely
          weak and debilitated. Her kidneys had caused weight loss but were under
          control, her heart disease had been so mild no one treated it, and her left
          atrium had no enlargement at all. She didn't have FIV, FeLV, or FIP. They
          didn't suspect cancer or anything else.

          A similar thing happened to another cat a year ago on the CRF list, and the
          cat's vet also suspected an autoimmune issue. That seems to be what they say
          when they have no good answer.

          Give Widgie a hug from us.

          Laura