Kitten panting

  • JAM0467@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his heart
      disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man into our family
      from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick out which
      kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.

      He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face. Allegedly he
      looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that breed.

      Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I watched for a
      little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open, tongue hanging
      out. Of course, I freaked.

      He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I wondered if
      he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of choking
      or distress, he just kept panting.

      I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in, and one hour
      later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but his heart
      and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having a
      murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)

      Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.

      Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even when panting,
      he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy Feast) and
      everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.

      Thoughts?
      Jennifer

      www.jennamills.com
      THE PERFECT STRANGER, SRS, April 2007 -- an RT BookClub Top Pick!
      A LITTLE BIT GUILTY, SRS, June 2007
      SINS OF THE STORM, SRS, September 2007

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
        Jennifer,

        I am sorry to hear about Moe. I am glad you saved a kitty, though! Did your vet suspect or say anything about asthma/allergies? That is what first came to mind after heart problems (only because I am a worry wart about that now, go figure). What makes me shy away from the heart problem thought is that the panting lasted so long. Most times when a heart kitty pants after exertion like playing, it doesn't last that long. Once the heart and body calms down so does the breathing. Where as asthma or allergies, once aggrevated can take a while for the inflammation to go down. I don't know what to make of the fever. Please keep us updated.

        I adopted a turskish angora (or so I was told by the shelter). They are a very amiable breed and very loyal. My Callie follows me everywhere and gets into everything, very kitten like even at 2 years old. These are common traits with TAs. If Moe is a TA, he will be a very good family addition. I hope all goes well.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • timbysmommy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hi,

          How wonderful that you have a new baby!

          When my baby Timby (Siamese) was just a kitten, we were playing with
          him and he started panting. At the time, I thought he just
          overexerted himself. Well, six years later, he developed a slight
          murmur, which was attributed to anemia (he was in renal failure). He
          died just a few weeks later of heart failure. I now realize that his
          panting as a kitten was a sign that I did not appreciate at the time.
          I won't forgive myself for that one, ever. Maybe if he had been
          diagnosed at the time, he could have gotten on meds and lived longer.
          And on top of all that, when we brought him in when he was in heart
          failure, the vet was POSITIVE that it was not heart disease because
          he had a normal heart on x-ray. And despite my telling her that I did
          not feel it was his asthma acting up, she treated it as asthma. Well,
          5 days after that, he was dead. I would say to go with your gut. If
          you are worried about heart, get the echo. A normal x-ray does not
          rule out heart disease, no matter what a vet might tell you. No
          murmur is certainly good, and I tend to agree with Leah that it might
          be allergy/asthma related, but if you have any smidge of a fear that
          it is heart and you can get the echo, do it. You don't know how many
          times I wish I could rewind the clock and take him in for an echo
          when he had his panting episode.

          Good luck.

          Linda and Li Li

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, JAM0467@... wrote:

          > Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his
          heart
          > disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man
          into our family
          > from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick
          out which
          > kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.
          >
          > He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face.
          Allegedly he
          > looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that
          breed.

          > Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I
          watched for a
          > little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open,
          tongue hanging
          > out. Of course, I freaked.
          >
          > He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I
          wondered if
          > he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of
          choking
          > or distress, he just kept panting.
          >
          > I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in,
          and one hour
          > later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but
          his heart
          > and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having
          > murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)
          >
          > Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.
          >
          > Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even
          when panting,
          > he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy
          Feast) and
          > everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          > Jennifer
        • Belinda
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
            Linda,

            I sorry you lost your Timmy, please don't feel bad though, you can
            only do the best with what you were told and with your vet thinking he
            was OK with the heart looking normal you had nothing but that to go by.
            Timmy knows you did the best you could for him and how much you loved
            him. He is whole and healthy now and with you always and forever in
            your heart.

            My Joey did the panting at 5 months of age and I took him to the vet,
            they did say his heart was shaped funny and he went to a vet collage for
            many tests. They diagnosed him very, very early HCM. He was put on
            medication and a year later we moved back here and I had him checked by
            a feline cardiologist and he said there was no evidence of heart disease
            and told us to take him off the meds.

            He is 11 years old now and was diagnosed about a year and a half ago
            with HCM and has been on 1/4 benazepril daily for the first year and a
            couple of months, then we upped his dose to 1/2 a pill daily because he
            still has high BP. Haven't checked his BP again, need to do that soon.
            He was checked again for his HCM after being on the benazepril for 6
            months or so and there was very little change, the thickening was very
            slightly more and the arotia was a tiny bit more dilated. The vet told
            me that they are finding some cats progress much slower in the disease
            process and are considered to be progressive HCM.

            So did he have HCM when he was 5 months old? The cardiologist that
            checked him when we got back here said probably not, but since he
            developed it later I have to think he probably did.

            So from about 1 1/2 years of age when we took him off the meds he was
            fine, it took 8 1/2 years for it to surface again, although my vet had
            told me a year before that, that he had a heart murmur, I just didn't at
            that time grasp the seriousness of the implications of that and she
            didn't push it.

            Joey is my life so I'm very upset for not doing something sooner but
            hopefully it won't have any dire lasting effects. He is also very early
            CRF and gets 50ccs of fluids once a week.

            My vet always poop poohs my gut feelings too and because of it my Fred
            (CRF) has been suffering with an infection for 6 weeks. He is finally
            recovering and once I run out of the clavamox the vet gave me I am going
            to keep him on fish mox (very similar to clavamox) for an additional 2
            or 3 weeks. Each time he has been on it it looked like it was cleared
            up but within a week it flared back up, this is the 4th time we are
            fighting the same infection!!!

            If they don't get their acts together I will be looking for a new one.

            PS. Joey is a siamese mix :)

            --

            Belinda
            happiness is being owned by cats ...

            Be-Mi-Kitties
            http://bemikitties.com
          • timbysmommy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
              Belinda,

              Thank you so much for your thoughts and for sharing your story.

              Very interesting. I tend to think like you, that he probably had it
              but was stable for most of his life until later. I wonder if the
              cardiologist took him off the meds because the disease had remissed
              somehow? I mean the fact that there was no evidence of disease at
              that time does not mean that it never existed. Maybe it improved with
              the medication?

              As far as Joey, please be careful with the fluids for CRF. 50 cc once
              a week does not sound like a lot. My Timby was on 100 cc every day,
              and I have no doubt that that hastened his going into heart failure
              (of course if we had known he had heart diease we would have done the
              fluids very differently or not at all). But it is a delicate balance.

              And yes, you gotta go with your gut. If I had, I would have walked
              right out of that first vet's office. You know your baby better than
              anyone.

              Best,

              Linda and Li Li