[FH] Horton's Traveling Plans- Advice please!

  • Leslie Lawther
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 11:57 AM
      *I am going to chime in here only enough to ask you to re-think letting him
      free in the car. We just took a cat into rescue that was allowed to be free
      in the car during a move.... and got spooked and got out of the owners car
      in Atlanta (we're in Tampa, Florida). The owner and daughter were frantic
      to find the cat... and sadly, had to leave her behind at the rest area in
      Atlanta, Georgia after hours of searching. This was in October. Just last
      month we had a girl tell us of a "kitten" (you know how people think all
      cats are kittens!) she had found - we said okay... turned out she was
      declawed, we checked for microchips... and BINGO it was their cat! Turned
      out, this girl found the cat in Atlanta at the rest stop! WHO would have
      imagined?! Anyway, we are reuniting a very relieved owner and daughter in
      Texas with their lost cat. We still don't know how a declawed cat survived
      the winter months in Atlanta... been on her own for over 4 months! *

      *There are dogs, big trucks... and things that unusually "spook" a kitty on
      the road... Opt the safe route for your baby.*
      **
      *Best of luck!*
      *Leslie =^..^=*

      On 4/2/07, Nicole Tuck <nicoleltuck@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > Next month I will be moving across the country, about 5000km. I will be
      > driving and taking Horton with me. Usually, Horton is not the greatest
      > traveller, he does get stressed and breathes a little heavier than usual,
      > and the first thing he does when we get in the car is pee.
      >
      > I'm not too concerned about the peeing, I put an absorbent sheet/pad in
      > his kennel, but I am worried about him being in the car for about 4-5 days.
      > I have been taking him on short drives to prep him, trying to let him know
      > that not all car trips end up at the vet!!
      >
      > I am especially concerned about keeping him in his kennel for that length
      > of time. We will be sleeping in the car most of the way, only staying at a
      > hotel for one night. I would like to let him free in the car, he is not a
      > wild cat, but I am worried he will get under my feet. But he is an adaptable
      > kitty, and I think that by the second day he will have calmed down a lot.
      >
      > I will be bringing a litter box, has anyone ever had a cat use his/her box
      > while in the car?
      >
      > Any advice/experiences you could share with Horton and I would be great.
      > It is not a choice to fly him, his cardiologist says that would definitely
      > put too much strain on him, and if I did, it is a 2 hour car trip after the
      > 7 hour flight as well.
      >
      > Thanks everyone!!
      >
      > Nicole and Horton

      Leslie =^..^=

      To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
      patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded. That
      only one life breathed easier because you lived - that is success.
      ---Ralph Waldo Emerson

      --

    • mfortner@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 12:07 PM
        -------------- Original message from "Leslie Lawther" <LeslieLawther@...>:
        > *I am going to chime in here only enough to ask you to re-think letting him
        > free in the car. We just took a cat into rescue that was allowed to be free
        > in the car during a move.... and got spooked and got out of the owners car
        > in Atlanta (we're in Tampa, Florida).

        I agree 100%. My recommendation is to get a bigger crate (maybe a large dog crate) that will accomodate a small litter pan and keep him in there and give him room to stand up and move around.

        I've heard of too many stories like the one above to every feel comfortable letting a cat roam free in a car.

        --
        Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, Callie. and Sammy
        Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar