Horton's Traveling Plans- Advice please!

  • Nicole Tuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi Everyone,

      Next month I will be moving across the country, about 5000km. I will be driving and taking Horton with me. Usually, Horton is not the greatest traveller, he does get stressed and breathes a little heavier than usual, and the first thing he does when we get in the car is pee.

      I'm not too concerned about the peeing, I put an absorbent sheet/pad in his kennel, but I am worried about him being in the car for about 4-5 days. I have been taking him on short drives to prep him, trying to let him know that not all car trips end up at the vet!!

      I am especially concerned about keeping him in his kennel for that length of time. We will be sleeping in the car most of the way, only staying at a hotel for one night. I would like to let him free in the car, he is not a wild cat, but I am worried he will get under my feet. But he is an adaptable kitty, and I think that by the second day he will have calmed down a lot.

      I will be bringing a litter box, has anyone ever had a cat use his/her box while in the car?

      Any advice/experiences you could share with Horton and I would be great. It is not a choice to fly him, his cardiologist says that would definitely put too much strain on him, and if I did, it is a 2 hour car trip after the 7 hour flight as well.

      Thanks everyone!!

      Nicole and Horton

    • Sharyl Cline
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
        Nicole, it is a tough choice. I can only tell what we
        did on a 3000 mile trip last summer with 3 cats, 1 HCM
        & CRF, 1 CRF, and 1 normal. We were on the road for a
        total of 5 days. Albert, CRF & HCM, just hates the
        carrier. I have a aluminum pan with litter in his
        over sized carrier that all 3 kitties used. They went
        just #1 and #2 fine in the car. I did clean the pan
        every time we stopped. You just want to make Horton
        as happy as possible.

        After 1 hr on the road I opened all the carrier doors.
        Tiki, the normal one, spent most of the trip in her
        carrier. Pequita, CRF, would roam a little to find
        the most comfortable spot to sleep, Albert would
        spend time in my lap, on his pillow and on top of his
        carrier. There were two of us so it was easier to
        control the cats. My husband drove and I managed the
        cats. You have to be real careful at each stop. It
        might be better for you if you could keep Horton in
        the back seat somehow. You might try keeping him in
        the carrier day 1 and then opening the door the next
        day. If you decide to leave him in the carrier the
        entire trip, maybe you could make frequent stops to
        let him out for a few minutes.

        Your other issue is going to be getting Horton to eat
        and drink. Mine just hate eating and drinking in the
        car. Horton may eat OK for you when you stop at
        night. Just have some of his favorite food to chow
        down on.
        Good Luck on your trip.
        Sharyl Albert Pequita and Tiki

        It's here! Your new message!
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
          Nicole,

          I agree with the others in not letting Horton out too much from the carrier, if at all, if you are not sure how he will react in the car. They are quick little guys when they dash for open doors.

          On a more personal note - I worry for you when you say that you are going to sleep in the car. I help teach self-defense to women and children and I would not recommend sleeping in the car! You are a big target for bad people should you decide to do this. And statistically, if you are taken in a car to a second location (other than where you are abducted), your chance for survival is minimal, especially if it is just you and Horton in the car. Please, please, please don't sleep in the car. I would rather you find a cheap hotel - if it is dirty you can sleep above the covers and in your clothes. A hotel room will at least have locks and people around you to hear screams. No first floor rooms either, if possible. I seem to write this next phrase alot, but I don't mean to scare you but inform you. I have taught way too many victims than I would ever care to see. Be proactive in your self-defense. Don't put yourself in any possible dangerous situation.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • nala nala
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
            Nicole,

            I used to travel with my cats for 9 hrs at a time.
            I have a good sized dog crate that I put a litter box
            in. I also built a shelf - just a piece of pegboard
            tied
            to the cage with cloth strips and reinforced with
            bungee
            cords. (you can see part of the crate in the photos
            of "Camille and Cozette" the first page where Cozette
            has a tube and a pink bandage on her neck). I cut the

            shelf so that it only extends 1/2 way across the crate

            leaving enough room for a kitty to sit up and stretch
            out.
            There is room for a litter box as well as two kitties
            on
            the bottom - but I usually
            wind up with one kitty on the shelf and one kitty in
            the litter box. I cover the crate with a blanket so
            that
            the kitties don't get too much sun, and I line the
            crate with same fleece remnants that I have scattered
            around the apartment and that the kitties like to
            sleep on.
            In addition, I have the crate lined with one of
            my pillowcases that has my scent too.

            I also have food and water dishes that clamp on
            to the wire of the crate. I also have a large water
            bottle -
            like what a rabbit or hamster might have - plastic
            bottle
            with a metal tube and a ball bearing in the end. It
            is
            less messy in the car than the water dish. I let the
            kitties
            practice with it before the trip(s) so they knew what
            it was and how to use it.

            Like Sharyl mentioned, my two don't like to eat, drink
            or go to the bathroom while traveling. They will eat
            if I stop the car and let them eat out of my hand.
            They
            also seem to drink when i stop to buy gas etc. But
            they just don't want to use the litter box (they did
            when they were kittens, but not as adults).

            The other thing is that they will me-yowl for about
            the first 90 minutes of the trip. I meow back and
            talk
            to them.

            One of my kitties is a "dasher" so I move the whole
            crate
            from car to wherever. I used to transfer the kitties
            from the
            crate into a small carrier, one for each cat, but it
            became
            more of a hassle to do that than to move the whole
            crate.
            (It gets heavy with two kitties, litter box etc).

            One other thing that I might check into was vets along
            the
            route. I was going to travel with my heart kitty last
            summer
            and I was trying to locate vets/24 hour vets along the

            route just in case. I had a vet lined up at my final
            destination
            already. I also got all of my RXs refilled before the
            trip so I
            had plenty on hand.

            Best wishes for your move.
            I hope Horton does well!

            Nala

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
          • Nicole Tuck

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
                Hi Leah,

                Thanks for the advice. I will try to save some money so I can stay in a hotel more along the way. The nice thing about my car is I can set the alarm while I am in side. I know this is not the perfect solution....but it helps. I really appreciate your concern!!!

                Thanks again Leah,

                Nicole