Snowball

  • Penny Branham
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29 12:21 PM
      It is probable my cat is suffering from cardiomyopathy. He is 14, and though he has been slowing down, Monday he stopped eating and drinking and became very weak. One blood test has been done and has ruled out kidney and liver failure. The broader test will be back tomorrow. However, the vet found a pronounced heart murmur that wasn't there two years ago. Snowball is on antibiotics and is receiving intravenous fluids. I am giving him Nutracal (against his will) and he is slowly regaining interest in food. Last night he actually ate a few bites of canned food and this morn he ate five crunchies.

      I am not one whom the Land of Plenty has found yet. I live from paycheck to paycheck and I am already at $250.00 at the vets. The vet took a postdated check. I will be giving Snowball his fluids at home and am going to have to be able to anticipate much that he will need. I will start CoQ10 this weekend after I get paid and am going to ask my vet about heart meds. Any advice will be welcomed. I am new to this site. I have emailed one member already (if you read this, thanks for your reply - I need all the help I can get!)

      I help care for my grandson and have three other cats as well as eleven ferals I feed and try to trap, spay and neuter. My financial situation is from having a big heart, not a careless wallet - and many in my situation would have their pet put down. I cannot do that unless there is nothing else I can humanely do. Snowball is family, and as family I will care for him the very best I can. My heart will break when he crosses over. My purpose is to make his last days/years the very best and most comfortable I can. He is a very sick critter. I love him so. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts - Penny and Snowball

      Penny L. Branham
      Allied Home Mortgage Capital Corporation
      973 High Street
      Worthington, Ohio 43085
      PH 614-880-4200
      FX 614-880-4204

    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29 12:53 PM
        Dear Penny,

        Hi and welcome to you and Snowball. I am sorry that
        Snowball
        is not doing well right now, and I hope that soon he
        is on the mend.

        I first want to mention that if heart disease is
        suspected and renal failure has been ruled out, I
        would be very cautious with the fluids,
        even if Snowball is dehydrated.

        Some kitties stop eating and drinking when they have
        extra fluid
        collecting in their lungs as a result of congestive
        heart failure. Adding
        still more fluid to their bodies will often have ill
        effects.

        Please keep a close watch on the rate and effort that
        Snowball
        uses to breathe. If it becomes hard for him to
        breathe, I would
        stop administering fluid to him. A normal
        respiration rate for a sleeping cat who is not purring
        or dreaming is 15-30 breaths/minute, but what is
        normal for one cat can might be different for another
        cat.

        Was an x-ray taken of Snowball to see whether or not
        he
        had any fluid in his lungs? This will help guide your
        vet in
        treatment.

        We always recommend seeing a cardiologist, but if it
        is out of
        your financial reach, perhaps your vet can consult
        with one
        or you could get some financial aid for Snowball. It
        is a subject
        that comes up commonly - so you could do a quick
        search at
        the message archives - or I'm sure someone who has
        retained
        the information can re-post.

        Welcome to the group and keep us posted on the rest of
        Snowballs
        lab results and ask as many questions as you want.
        Most likely at least one of us has seen a similar
        situation.

        Best,
        Nala

        The fish are biting.
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29 2:02 PM
          Penny,

          Welcome to you and Snowball. I am sorry to hear about Snowball's condition but glad that you found us. I live in the Columbus (Dublin) too. I can give you info on local cardiologists. There are 2 places, as you may already know. The first is close to you in Worthington, MedVet, and the second is OSU. Ask your vet to consult with either one of them. OSU is going to be more economical than MedVet but MedVet is easier to get into should you need an appointment. They may have programs for those without a lot of money to throw around. I know MedVet and OSU do some charity work, at least I have seen their names listed on the Capital Area Humane Society's newsletters as having done some. CAHS amy have some suggestions for financial assistance too. So maybe if you call and talk with a manager at all these places and explain your work with ferals, they might work with you. I know my vet has consulted with MedVet in the past but eventually they needed me to bring in my kitties.

          Snowball's murmur does suggest a heart condition but you never know. I know you have already gotten some advice from Nala and Candace. I agree with Nala about the fluids. Be very careful/watchful of Snowball with this. Congestive heart failure (CHF) can be triggered with fluids. Not that CHF can't be managed but why magnify a problem with another problem.

          It is good that you want to start the CoQ10. After a few days, and that goes OK, you may want to consider adding taurine and l-carnitine to the mix too. If you need more info, just email me.

          Did your vet explain why the antibiotics were prescribed? Did he have a high white blood count or something? Antibiotics won't help with heart disease but I understand if they just wanted to cover their bases.

          Please do not hesitate to ask any questions that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is. We are glad you are here and keep us updated on Snowball. Many healing prayers coming your way!

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • tootsiepop1421
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2009
            Has anyone heard from Carol and Snowball today ? She was really worried yesterday.
          • Marta Gasper
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
              What a beautiful girl..I know it hurts so much but please don't blame yourself Carol. You did all you could for her and nowhere she could have had better care and love. When we grieve we try to blame ourselves and others or what is closer in an effort to explain to us why that loved one left us.  Of no confort now but I hope you'll feel better in time and I know Snowball will always be watching over you
              Marta