Re: [feline-heart] Chloe the kitty

  • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2000
      Be careful with enacard; have heard some negatives about it. Diet: try
      Hill's K/d mixed with Hill's senior diet..my very fininicky cat Max goes for
      it. What about using rutin or B6 for liquid retnetion ; B6 is givven to
      pregnant women; ck with your vet first. Isn't that alot of lasix? Try
      writing to : Julinalf@...

      She's just had alot of experience with homeopathic remedies and has a great
      homeopathic vet!

      Good luck,
      Linda

    • JoWC123@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2000
        kricci1234@... wrote:

        > My Question is, my kitty Chloe has heart disease which is being
        > managed by medication. While he was being tested they found that he
        > had relatively high renal levels. Hi levels are:
        > BUN-43.6
        > CREA-3.41
        > TBIL-0.57
        > To mention a few the rest are okay. I guess not real high but need to
        > make a move.
        > He is on 12.5 mg of Lasex per day due to the fact that he had a lot
        > of fluid in his lungs a month ago. Now he has none and the Lasex is
        > being reduced. Also on Enacard. Anyway, my questions:
        > What are some good diets for cats with these problems? He likes raw
        > a lot.
        > He hates all the Special diets.
        > And How high is high levels?

        Check out Noreens food list (from the crf group). It has protein,
        phosphorus, and sodium content of a significant number of prescription and
        regular canned cat foods.
        I would draw a line at the phosphorous at 1.0, and head for Pet Co and
        purchase one of whatever to see what Yoda would eat. Since his BUN and creat
        are not that high (comparitivelly speaking for a CRF cat) I would look more
        for lower sodium foods with reasonable amounts of protein and phosphorus.
        This way you can find something that he will eat that won't aggravate the
        heart failure. By the way, Yoda would nibble dry KD throughout the end of
        his illness. We had no problems with the Enacard, it was the fluid buildup
        in his lungs that was the major problem.
        <A HREF="http://www.tullahoma.total-web.net/~katkarma/canfood.htm">
        Click here: CAT FOODS</A>
        http://www.tullahoma.total-web.net/~katkarma/canfood.htm

        Hope this helps. It is a wonderful service that Noreen does, and is kept
        updated.

        Jo and the brown boys, Loki and angel Yoda
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2000

          Can you be specific about what you have heard? Lynx is on Enecard, so I'm
          concerned ...

          --
          JR
          & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2000
            At 04:14 PM 5/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

            I haven't heard negatives per se, but when Kearra went on it, we did
            bloodwork after one week and then again after one month to make sure it
            hadn't bothered her kidneys.

            Diane
          • Helen
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2000

              > > Be careful with enacard; have heard some negatives about it.
              >
              > Can you be specific about what you have heard? Lynx is on Enecard, so I'm
              > concerned ...

              Harpsie has been on Cardiovet, which I believe is the same thing (Enalapril)
              for nine months now. He's doing extremely well and his kidney values at his
              bloodtests about two weeks ago were completely normal.

              Helen, Harpsie, Indie and Thomas
            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2000

                Enacard, vasotec & Enalapril are all the same drug. I haven't heard the
                name Cardiovet, but I'm not a drug expert, so ...

                > for nine months now. He's doing extremely well and his kidney values at
                his
                > bloodtests about two weeks ago were completely normal.

                Lynx has been tested twice now since being on the meds & so far his kidney
                values are fine (actually better than they were when he was first tested, a
                month ago). He gets tested again in a week.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2000
                  Jonanthan,
                  I read about enacard somewhere on this email group about a couple of wks ago.
                  I'll go back and try to find it. I might take a few days to do so.

                  Linda