Update on 20 year old cat with swollen back legs

  • margdaw4
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
      Thank you everyone so very much for all your responses. My name is
      Margie and my cat's name is Frisky. Frisky will turn 21 on May 1,
      2007. I got him when he was only 8 weeks old. His back legs are still
      very swollen and I did take him to the vets a couple of times about
      his swollen legs and the vet thinks it is a circulation problem caused
      by old age. I asked her if I should have him see a cardiologist and
      she said it is up to me; but if it were her cat, she would not because
      he is so old. Last Thursday she did another blood test and it showed
      his kidneys are getting worse. This is what she prescribed last
      Thursday. I am to give him Mylanta twice a day, Pepcid AC twice a
      day, a potassium supplement once a day, a baby aspirin twice a week,
      and an ACE Inhibitor called Enalpril once a day. My question to
      everyone is should I take him to a cardiologist? He has a great
      appetite and eats quite a lot of food each day. He also drinks water
      each day. But now, he can only walk about 5 steps and then flops
      over. He mostly sleeps on the couch on an electric blanket that I
      have going day and night for him. He has been my best buddy for the
      last 20 years and I want to do everything for him but want to do the
      right thing. Would anyone suggest that I take him to a cardiologist,
      given his age? This morning I feel like that is what I want to do. I
      wondered if they could give him some medicine that would help his
      heart and help him to walk. When I put his 2 back legs up on a small
      pillow while he is sleeping, his legs go back to normal. He has been
      taking the baby asprin since September 2005 because his back legs
      collpased one day and they thought he threw a clot. He regained his
      walking 2 days later.
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
        Margie,

        I would take Frisky to the cardiologist, but that is just my opinion. If you are questioning now if you should do it, then you should. You don't want regrets.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • margdaw4
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
          Leah, thank you for your opinion--it really means a lot to me and
          gives me the courage to do what I think is best for Frisky.

          Margie

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Leah Ferron <leahandhercats@...>
          wrote:

          > Margie,
          >
          > I would take Frisky to the cardiologist, but that is just my
          opinion. If you are questioning now if you should do it, then you
          should. You don't want regrets.

          > Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • Janie
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
            Hey a friend of mine her cat was 24 yrs old. So maybe Frisky has a way
            to go.I think you should maybe try to be with him if you can. Im always
            with our cats and I get to see the ultra sound. That seems a bit
            stressful maybe if you live close you could schedule it and they could
            call when the dr gets there? They can do what they want that makes the
            dif in vets. Whatever I think if you feel ok and can pay for it do it.
            My cat Trampster is I think 16 give or take. She has heart problem too.
            Has for 5 Yrs. She runs around like a kitten. Shes losing weight but I
            pray she lives too. She aspirated she had her teeth fixed a month ago
            and is now gaining and she has been through a lot she still is spunky
            and she bosses the 17 poundes around. Good luck. I wonder if her legs
            have fluid like people get fluid in there legs. That would make them
            swollen. Just a thought. Dose she take lasix? Janie
          • Sharyl Cline
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
              Margie, the traveling cardiologist sounds great. If
              you make an appointment with one at another facility
              there is a good chance you would have to leave Frisky
              for several hours. I know when I took Albert and
              Pequita in we had to leave them at 9 am and couldn't
              pick them up until 4 pm.

              Old is relative. If Frisky is happy then my vote is
              to treat him for whatever ails him. Did the vet give
              you a copy of his blood work. Vets often prescribe
              Mylanta as a phosphate binder. If so you might want
              to check into buying Dried Aluminum Hydroxide. It
              works better and can be mixed with Frisky's food.

              The recommended dosage of regular strength Pepcid AC
              is 1/4 pill EOD on the CRF board. To much Pepcid can
              cause an upset tummy. Also Pepcid is processed
              through the kidneys and too much can cause problems
              there.

              Did your vet talk about lasix to help eliminate the
              fluids in his legs? That would be something to talk
              to the cardiologist about.
              Good Luck
              Sharyl Albert and Pequita

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
            • margdaw4
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
                Thanks Janie, I just talked with my vet is she is going to try to
                persuade the cardiologist to call them a half hour before and then I
                can keep Frisky home until that time. The swelling in Frisky's legs
                will go down if I put them up on a pillow. But the minute he walks
                a few steps, they start to swell again. He is not taking Lasix but
                that is something that the cardiologist might suggest.

                Margie

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Thank you Sharyl! My vet did prescribe Mylanta as a phosphate
                  binder. I am going to ask for a copy of the blood test so I can see
                  the levels on everything. My vet said she would not give Lasix
                  because of his kidneys; but then she said the cardiologist might
                  prescribe it. We will see tomorrow. I just hope he does not get
                  too stressed during the test.

                  Margie

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sharyl Cline <clinebay@...>