Re: [FH] Atenolol is working for Lila

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
      Kelly,

      Regarding atenolol, my Rudy has been taking it for 4 years. He also has had a positive effect on his murmur with atenolol in addition to a reduced heart rate. His mitral valve doesn't slam shut anymore.

      While it is true there have been no studies done to establish efficacy in cats there are plenty of cats who have taken atenolol for years.

      Susan

      r@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      Lila and I just returned from her re-check at the vet. As a recap, her
      issues seem to be her mitrovalve (flapping both directions) and a
      prolonged heartbeat (conductivity is 3 seconds instead of 2, heartbeats
      were running into eachother). Her heartrate was too high (240-260) and
      3 of her heart chambers are enlarged. She has been on 1/4 tab (25mg) of
      atenolol for one week and hasn't had any side effects so far. Today's
      appt. was to find out if the atenolol was working to slow her heartrate
      down. It is! :) It was at 120 today, and the murmur was down to a
      grade 1 (from a 3/4) last week. The vet said this tells her that "we
      are hitting the nail on the head" and the atenolol is doing exactly
      what we want it to be doing.

      She said her prognosis if nothing else changes is very good - she could
      live a long, full life while taking atenolol forever for this problem.
      She is to go back in 6 months for another ekg (rhythm strip?) to see
      what her beats look like, and if all looks good then they will schedule
      her dental. Both my kitties seem to have bad teeth - they've had 6
      pulled between the 2 of them, and Lila is overdue for a cleaning and
      appears to have some gingivitis that needs to be addressed.

      So, I am feeling very optimistic now that she is doing well and the
      atenolol will keep her with us for a long time to come. Thanks for all
      your thoughts and well wishes!

      Kelly

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
        Kelly,

        That is awesome! We love hearing good news.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • Tracy
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
          Thanks so much for posting this! My Pumpkin is now on atenolol for
          his heart condition and tolerating it really well. It's good to
          know that it does work.

          Tracy
          and the boys.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Leah Ferron