Re: [FH] still eating but tired and drinking far less

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2007
      Jen,

      I'm sorry to hear about your cat (what is his name?)

      It's common for the medication to make them a bit lethargic in the
      beginning. Is his change in drinking significant?

      One indicator for problems is a change in his respiration rate. Normal for
      a cat is about 24-30 breaths per minute. You count them when he's resting
      and not purring. Check to see how much his sides move in & out. Increase
      in either one of these - or both - could mean there's fluid building up. If
      his respiration gets up to 60, then he needs to see a vet right away.

      Just to be prepared - are you sure there aren't any 24-hour emergency
      centers in your area? If not, maybe you could make arrangements with your
      vet to be safe.

      You can check for emergency centers here
      http://www.pets911.com/services/emergency/index.php

      If he's not breathing hard, then it's most likely a side-effect of the
      medication.

      Once he's stable, we can talk about diet and supplements like CoQ10.
      There's plenty you can do to support his overall health and keep him going.

      Is he being seen by a veterinary cardiologist?

      Sue