Re: [FH] Magnesiun

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi Jean,

      In a message dated 3/2/07 8:10:57 PM, jeanlimb@... writes:

      > Can you tell me if I need to suppliment magnesium in a raw food diet.
      > I have one cat that eats raw food Rabbit or Turkey/Chicken. It has
      > bones and organs in it.
      >
      > If the cat is eating the whole animal, it shouldn't be necessary to
      supplement for magnesium. (And supplementing minerals, which act in balance and are
      often required in tiny amts, is a tricky proposition.)

      The average requirement for magnesium for a healthy adult cat is 8 mg per kg
      body weight per day. So a 10 lb cat needs about 35mg/day.

      Rabbit meat (no bone) contains about 8 mg per oz...so a cat eating 4-5 lbs of
      meat will get the daily requirement. Chicken meat (no skin or bone) contains
      about 7mg/oz.

      Some other magnesium values (all dry matter). You can use these to calculate
      how much magnesium the cat is consuming (on average):

      A mouse contains about 0.1-.15% magnesium. A rabbit, 0.18%. A rat, 0.8-0.14%.
      A chicken leg (bone in), 0.13%. Chicken meat (no bone), 0.05-0.5%. //
      Rosemary