Re: New here - two kitties with HCM

  • Tracy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Nala!

      That's what my vet thinks too, I just got off the phone with her,
      his kidney values are causing the most problems. His BUN went up
      but his Creatinine went down and she's not happy about the elevated
      BUN. She phoned in a prescrption to my pharmacy for a stronger
      antacid though I'm not sure what the name is as I'll pick it up
      tonight. She wants to wait til maybe Monday to restart his
      atenolol. Lasix we are going to try and keep on an every other day
      or so dosing dependent on how he is. He was drinking this morning
      and I added some extra water to his breakfast to help with
      hydration.

      I'm pretty much at the point that it's a quality of life issue for
      him now, I want him to eat and be comfortable but if his life gets
      so unbearable than I'll probably have to make a decision which
      breaks my heart. I was sitting next to him last night on our spare
      bed and I just started sobbing and while in the midst of this I felt
      a paw on my hand, he was trying to reassure me I think. He's such a
      wonderful kitty. I feel guilty for probably causing this by
      boarding him but he's never had bad reactions to boarding before.
      He was in for 10 days last September and sailed through but I guess
      his heart has just been letting him down.

      Big sigh.....

      Tracy
    • Tracy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
        Hi everyone! Thought I'd post an update on my two boys, Pumpkin
        with HCM, and Oscar with HCM+CRF.

        Pumpkin had his follow up at the vet on Saturday and the vet is very
        pleased with him. We talked about his murmur - when the vet first
        thought she heard it back at end of '06 she characterized it as
        Grade I. When she listened a month later it apparently was very
        bad, she called it Grade IV-V. He's been on atenolol since early
        Feb. (he's so easy to pill, just crush it and smear it on deli
        turkey - he hoovers it back so fast!). So she listened to his heart
        on Saturday and she said if she didn't know he had HCM she'd never
        have guessed - his heart sounds great. He's gained a bit of weight
        too and she said overall he looks great. The vets are still
        debating putting him on something to prevent clots. He goes for a
        recheck at the end of May.

        Now Oscar, my problem child. He's continuing to hang in there.
        He's back on Fortekor (1/2 pill/day) and gets Periactin to stimulate
        his appetite (1/4 pill 2x per day) and it works - takes about 2
        hours to kick in but then he eats. His weight feels okay
        considering - he doesn't feel like the feather he did when he came
        home from the vet early February with the CHF. He's also on Pepcid
        but I have a prescription antacid too that I tried (sorry can't
        remember name) but that didn't seem to make much difference. It's
        so hard to know what he's feeling when I look at him. He breathes
        fast but then I look at the other two and they seem to be breathing
        just as fast. I guess I'm afraid to give him Lasix for fear that he
        feels crummy not because of fluid but because of something else. He
        was looking sickly yesterday afternoon until I pulled his brush out
        of the drawer then he was all over me meowing and loving getting
        brushed. His BUN was up at his last check with creat. down which
        would explain his feeling crummy. I'll probably haul him back in to
        the vet in a month to get his bloodwork retested to see how he's
        doing. He's not taking his atenolol, he should be but he's just so
        fragile.......

        We're on the "one day at a time approach" with Oscar. His current
        quality of life is definitely not good but he's not ready to give up
        yet and neither are we.

        Tracy
      • Tracy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2007
          Thanks Nala! Oscar is actually do much, much better. He's eating
          and acting almost completely normal - okay, normal for him! He was
          really low on Sunday and Monday didn't seem much better but I
          changed his food and kept giving him the periactin (he gets Pepcid
          in the am and periactin at bedtime) and every day this week he's
          gotten brighter and more like himself. I'm assuming that it's maybe
          because his BUN is coming down with the new food, lower proten and
          phos than what I was feeding him (Friskies). He's eating Science
          Diet Adult Savoury Cuts in Gravy both the chicken and beef flavours
          and he's definitely enjoying it. He's been eating almost two 6 oz
          cans a day since Tuesday. Only other med he's on is his Fortekor.
          He really is a fighter. I think now that spring is almost here and
          it's getting warmer he's going to perk up a lot more too. I'm
          thinking he may have been a tad depressed over the past month, I
          guess feeling yucky and it being so cold and gloomy looking
          outside. He just seemed very down. But I'm hopeful now he's going
          to be with us a bit longer.

          As for his heart meds, that's something I want to talk to the vet
          about. It might be that we just let him be, stay on the Fortekor
          and that's it since he is quite fragile. Continue to monitor him
          for stress and potential fluid buildup. I guess we'll see how
          things go over the next little while. I'm going to check his
          breathing this weekend when I can hopefully catch him sleeping.
          Sometimes it looks like he's breathing too fast then I realize he's
          purring so of course that makes all the difference - it's just so
          nice to hear him purr!

          Tracy

          -------------------
          nala_zq <nala_zq@...> wrote:
          Dear Tracy,

          I don't remember whether I responded to your note previously
          or not - I know that I had intended to!

          That is great news for Pumpkin! It is my opinion that if his heart is
          enlarged, particular the left atrium, that it might not be a bad
          idea to
          put him on a clot prevention med, but that is just my opinion.

          Of course, as you say, things are trickier with Oscar. I'm glad the
          periactin is working well for him. My heart/renal kitty didn't do
          so well with it. I didn't think the Pepcid mattered to my cat
          much either, until I quit giving it to her for a couple of days and
          her eating tapered off.

          I wouldn't be afraid of the lasix. I know it is hard with heart
          and renal kitties to manage both diseases, but if you think he
          is breathing fast I would try to keep it in check. My cat no
          longer gets any kind of standard lasix dosing. It is pretty much -
          count respirations - hmm 28 - well normally they should be
          about 22 when she is sleeping like this, I am going to give her
          10 mg instead of 7.5 and see if they come down at all. Oh goodness,
          now they are up to 36. Now she gets 10 mg. (it really drives me
          crazy).

          I think it is important to try to figure out what kind of respiratory
          rate is "normal" for Oscar when his fluid is under control. You
          can't always rely on the respiration rates of your other kitties,
          but you can also determine what is "normal" for them.

          Try to get your counting done when Oscar is sleeping, not when
          he is dreaming, not when he is awake. I also count the resps. when
          my cat is awake, but completely relaxed - falling asleep - as she
          wakes up when a piece of dust settles on the floor and her breathing
          is always rapid when she is startled awake.

          Best to you and the crew!

          Nala