Re: New here - two kitties with HCM

  • nala_zq
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      Tracy,

      When my cat was recently hospitalized with CHF and renal failure she was
      taken off all meds except for lasix - and reglan was added to help with
      nausea - she kept licking her lips and licking her lips and sort of making
      gagging motions.

      I have slowly been adding back some of her other meds - and none of those
      really seem to have hurt her appetite. I think the appetite loss was due to her
      high renal numbers and dehydration.

      I have been trying to encourage my cat to drink as much as she wants to
      try to avoid having to give her subQs. I also don't have a "set" lasix schedule
      anymore. I adjust the dose daily based on her respirations and how dehydrated
      she seems.

      I hope you get things settled with Oscar soon and that your other kitty stays
      stable for a long long time.

      Best,
      Nala

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <tracyontario@...> wrote:

      > Oscar went back to the vet yesterday, though not an overly positive
      > appointment. We're just all stymied by him. On the upside he did
      > gain 1/2 a lb since the 17th so he's back over 11 lbs. He clearly
      > needs to remain on Lasix but dosing is a senstitive thing. He is
      > dehydrated but with the fluid on his lungs subQ's are very scary.
      > The vet has recommended that we remove him from all meds, except
      > Lasix as needed - I've moved him to an every other day dosing, so he
      > didn't get a dose last night. For food I need to add more liquid to
      > it to help him rehydrate. Vet gave me some anti-nausia drug that
      > costs the earth, he had 1/2 a tablet but I'm not sure that it made
      > him eat. She also prescribed the appetitie stimulant cypro....
      > which I haven't given to him yet since he ate last night, not a huge
      > amount but enough. He was up and about this morning and had his
      > head down in the food bowl when I left for work - he's now addicted
      > to Fancy Feast - and he was drinking. He's a tough little guy but
      > his body can only take so much. They did a recheck of his kidney
      > values and found his BUN up and his Creatinine down from the 17th -
      > elevated BUN explains why he's feeling poorly. Vet said he must
      > have been quite fragile before he developed the fluid on his lungs
      > at the beginning of February when he was boarded for 4 days with my
      > other two. He's usually just fine being boarded, we've never had
      > any issues before at all so he must really have been going downhill
      > for a while before and just hiding it, the way cats do. I'm hoping
      > he'll turn around but his heart is in really bad shape, he should be
      > on the heart meds but if they are causing him to feel horrid and not
      > eat then sure they are helping his heart but hurting him otherwise.
      >
      > So now we are in a wait and see situation, we'll just carry on from
      > here and see how much longer he will be with us.
      >
      > Heart disease and CRF - not a fun thing to deal with.
      >
      > Tracy

    • Tracy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi Nala!

        That's what my vet thinks too, I just got off the phone with her,
        his kidney values are causing the most problems. His BUN went up
        but his Creatinine went down and she's not happy about the elevated
        BUN. She phoned in a prescrption to my pharmacy for a stronger
        antacid though I'm not sure what the name is as I'll pick it up
        tonight. She wants to wait til maybe Monday to restart his
        atenolol. Lasix we are going to try and keep on an every other day
        or so dosing dependent on how he is. He was drinking this morning
        and I added some extra water to his breakfast to help with
        hydration.

        I'm pretty much at the point that it's a quality of life issue for
        him now, I want him to eat and be comfortable but if his life gets
        so unbearable than I'll probably have to make a decision which
        breaks my heart. I was sitting next to him last night on our spare
        bed and I just started sobbing and while in the midst of this I felt
        a paw on my hand, he was trying to reassure me I think. He's such a
        wonderful kitty. I feel guilty for probably causing this by
        boarding him but he's never had bad reactions to boarding before.
        He was in for 10 days last September and sailed through but I guess
        his heart has just been letting him down.

        Big sigh.....

        Tracy
      • Tracy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
          Hi everyone! Thought I'd post an update on my two boys, Pumpkin
          with HCM, and Oscar with HCM+CRF.

          Pumpkin had his follow up at the vet on Saturday and the vet is very
          pleased with him. We talked about his murmur - when the vet first
          thought she heard it back at end of '06 she characterized it as
          Grade I. When she listened a month later it apparently was very
          bad, she called it Grade IV-V. He's been on atenolol since early
          Feb. (he's so easy to pill, just crush it and smear it on deli
          turkey - he hoovers it back so fast!). So she listened to his heart
          on Saturday and she said if she didn't know he had HCM she'd never
          have guessed - his heart sounds great. He's gained a bit of weight
          too and she said overall he looks great. The vets are still
          debating putting him on something to prevent clots. He goes for a
          recheck at the end of May.

          Now Oscar, my problem child. He's continuing to hang in there.
          He's back on Fortekor (1/2 pill/day) and gets Periactin to stimulate
          his appetite (1/4 pill 2x per day) and it works - takes about 2
          hours to kick in but then he eats. His weight feels okay
          considering - he doesn't feel like the feather he did when he came
          home from the vet early February with the CHF. He's also on Pepcid
          but I have a prescription antacid too that I tried (sorry can't
          remember name) but that didn't seem to make much difference. It's
          so hard to know what he's feeling when I look at him. He breathes
          fast but then I look at the other two and they seem to be breathing
          just as fast. I guess I'm afraid to give him Lasix for fear that he
          feels crummy not because of fluid but because of something else. He
          was looking sickly yesterday afternoon until I pulled his brush out
          of the drawer then he was all over me meowing and loving getting
          brushed. His BUN was up at his last check with creat. down which
          would explain his feeling crummy. I'll probably haul him back in to
          the vet in a month to get his bloodwork retested to see how he's
          doing. He's not taking his atenolol, he should be but he's just so
          fragile.......

          We're on the "one day at a time approach" with Oscar. His current
          quality of life is definitely not good but he's not ready to give up
          yet and neither are we.

          Tracy
        • Tracy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16, 2007
            Thanks Nala! Oscar is actually do much, much better. He's eating
            and acting almost completely normal - okay, normal for him! He was
            really low on Sunday and Monday didn't seem much better but I
            changed his food and kept giving him the periactin (he gets Pepcid
            in the am and periactin at bedtime) and every day this week he's
            gotten brighter and more like himself. I'm assuming that it's maybe
            because his BUN is coming down with the new food, lower proten and
            phos than what I was feeding him (Friskies). He's eating Science
            Diet Adult Savoury Cuts in Gravy both the chicken and beef flavours
            and he's definitely enjoying it. He's been eating almost two 6 oz
            cans a day since Tuesday. Only other med he's on is his Fortekor.
            He really is a fighter. I think now that spring is almost here and
            it's getting warmer he's going to perk up a lot more too. I'm
            thinking he may have been a tad depressed over the past month, I
            guess feeling yucky and it being so cold and gloomy looking
            outside. He just seemed very down. But I'm hopeful now he's going
            to be with us a bit longer.

            As for his heart meds, that's something I want to talk to the vet
            about. It might be that we just let him be, stay on the Fortekor
            and that's it since he is quite fragile. Continue to monitor him
            for stress and potential fluid buildup. I guess we'll see how
            things go over the next little while. I'm going to check his
            breathing this weekend when I can hopefully catch him sleeping.
            Sometimes it looks like he's breathing too fast then I realize he's
            purring so of course that makes all the difference - it's just so
            nice to hear him purr!

            Tracy

            -------------------
            nala_zq <nala_zq@...> wrote:
            Dear Tracy,

            I don't remember whether I responded to your note previously
            or not - I know that I had intended to!

            That is great news for Pumpkin! It is my opinion that if his heart is
            enlarged, particular the left atrium, that it might not be a bad
            idea to
            put him on a clot prevention med, but that is just my opinion.

            Of course, as you say, things are trickier with Oscar. I'm glad the
            periactin is working well for him. My heart/renal kitty didn't do
            so well with it. I didn't think the Pepcid mattered to my cat
            much either, until I quit giving it to her for a couple of days and
            her eating tapered off.

            I wouldn't be afraid of the lasix. I know it is hard with heart
            and renal kitties to manage both diseases, but if you think he
            is breathing fast I would try to keep it in check. My cat no
            longer gets any kind of standard lasix dosing. It is pretty much -
            count respirations - hmm 28 - well normally they should be
            about 22 when she is sleeping like this, I am going to give her
            10 mg instead of 7.5 and see if they come down at all. Oh goodness,
            now they are up to 36. Now she gets 10 mg. (it really drives me
            crazy).

            I think it is important to try to figure out what kind of respiratory
            rate is "normal" for Oscar when his fluid is under control. You
            can't always rely on the respiration rates of your other kitties,
            but you can also determine what is "normal" for them.

            Try to get your counting done when Oscar is sleeping, not when
            he is dreaming, not when he is awake. I also count the resps. when
            my cat is awake, but completely relaxed - falling asleep - as she
            wakes up when a piece of dust settles on the floor and her breathing
            is always rapid when she is startled awake.

            Best to you and the crew!

            Nala