Re: [FH] 20 year old cat with swollen back legs

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hello,

      Welcome to you and your kitty. Please let us know your names when you get a chance. I am sorry to hear about your kitty's conditions but glad that you found us. You must be quite a pet parent to have your kitty live so long!

      I would suggest taking your kitty to the vet ASAP to see what is wrong. Are your kitty's back legs/paws cold? If so, it is even more imperative to see a vet NOW especially since you say that your kitty has trouble walking. He could have what is called saddle thrombosis where a blood clot gets caught and cuts off the flow of blood to his back legs. This is a very painful condition for your kitty.

      I would also suggest seeing a vet cardiologist or internal med vet if possible. Heart murmurs are not normal and your kitty really needs to have an echocardiogram done to see what is going on. Your kitty may need to be on heart meds too. How much sub-q's does your kitty get daily? Heart and kidney problems often go hand in hand and it can tricky to treat both, but not impossible.

      I can't express enough how urgent it is to get your kitty to a vet that understands heart problems. If you have a vet ER near you, that might be best. But if not, please see your vet today!

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec